Connect with us

What type of rf filter is this?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by krugerand, Oct 22, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. krugerand

krugerand

Oct 22, 2010
    I am trying my best to fix the electronics in a mass spectrometer.One of the voltage generation boards doesnt receive any power at all (normally 230V AC is going into it) and I was able to trace live power only up to an RF filter before the power gets to the high voltage board.

I think I need to replace this RF filter because I can measure 160 ohms through one of the two paths through the filter but 38 Megaohms through the other path(which I assume means it is not an open path).

The filter casing has the following printing on it.

F&T 9768
    0.1 uF + 2 X 2500 pF
    + 2 X 2 mH 4A
    HSF560 2/94
    250V~

Does anyone know what type of RF filter this is exactly?:confused: I think it was manufactured in
    Germany in 1994 but I can't find it through Google. Maybe because its too old.

Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, krugerand.

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    That looks like an ordinary mains RFI filter. On rare occations the inductor in these can develop a break. You can replace it with just about any similar rated product.

3. krugerand

krugerand

Oct 22, 2010
    Thanks for the info.

Yes, one path through the filter is open circuit so I guess as you say one of the inductors must have blew.

Would a part 5VR3 be a suitable replacement?
    http://www.cor.com/PDF/R.pdf

The inductance and capacitance values are different though. Would that make a lot of difference in the filtering?

krugerand

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    It'll work just nice, but it might be more expensive than neccessary because it's a two-stage filter whereas the original filter is just one stage.
    It will surely make a difference (to the better), but the exact filtering effect is very non-critical on such device mains inputs.

Ask a Question