Connect with us

What type of company would use these Amulet Touch Screens?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by COSInt, Dec 19, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. COSInt

COSInt

Dec 19, 2012
    My organization has over 300 new Amulet Technologies touch screens and we are trying to locate who the end users are so that we can try and make back some of the funds spent to purchase them. I've done the following to see them:

1. Directly to Amulet Technologies, they would not take them back as they are discontinued stock.
    2. Directly to the distributors (Digi-Key, Mouser, Semiconductor, Nu Horizon, etc) would not take them as we are not a manufacture, they are older (2005) and have no warranty.
    3.Electronics Brokers (received an offer from one for everything which was pennies for what we paid) otherwise, they are only offering us consigment.
    4. A/V Installation companies, we emailed about 200 A/V installation companies personally and 6 responded saying no thank you.
    5. Electronics Components store, most of them stated that they do not sell this type of item and passed on bidding.
    6. I've also had it up on eBay for 3 weeks! No buyers or inquires as of yet.

I started to think who uses these types of touch screens, and the list was endless, banks, hosplitals, fast food places, airplanes, military, OMG! I want to nail down and locate who are the end users of these touch screens so that my organization can make back the most we can for these screens.

We have confirmed in writing from Amulet directly that they have no doubt that our stock is in working condition. We have the original purchasing invoice proving they are authentic Amulet stock.

Any suggestions or ideas on end users would be very appreciated.

Below are all the specifics on these screens:

Amulet On-Board Module Information
    MK-AOB 320240 5 B
    Product Type: Amulet On-Board Module
    Display Resolution: 320 x 240 Pixels
    Display Type: 5.7” Graphic LCD
    Display Modes:
    B= STN Negative, Blue, Transmissive
    Backlight Type: Ultrabright White LED (8)
    Backlight Control: Digital Potentiometer
    Contrast Control: Digital Potentiometer
    Viewing Angle: 6 o’clock
    Operating Temp: -20 C to 70 C
    Temperature Comp: Yes
    Power Requirement: 5Vdc (.25v) @ 250mA
    Memory
    HTML Storage Capacity: 8 megabit
    Communication Interface
    Communication Type: Amulet Protocol via UART
    Data Rate (BAUD): 9,600 / 19,200 / 57,600 / 115,200 bps

*NOT FOR SALE

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there
    welcome to the forums :)

put them up on eBay and get whatever you can for them :)

Dave

3. COSInt

COSInt

Dec 19, 2012
    Hi davenn,

Thanks for the welcome! I do have them up on eBay for quite some time and at a low price, no takers :eek:

I'm trying to find the actual type of companies that use these things....:rolleyes:

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I think the main problem you will have is that seemingly far better specced displays are available at a fraction of that price.

5. COSInt

COSInt

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks for your response, there is definite truth to that for sure. They were at the top of the line back when they were originally gotten. In present date, these are out there on the market tho and I am having an awesome time trying to locate the type of end user. :mad:

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    You probably need to find someone who is supporting or repairing equipment that uses these.

A very small niche that you're looking for.

7. COSInt

COSInt

Dec 19, 2012
    How do I find these types of groups?

8. COSInt

COSInt

Dec 19, 2012
    What are some examples of these?

9. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    That's the trick.

You've mentioned that the manufacturer wouldn't take them back. Perhaps they can put you in contact with another customer for these that may still have a need for them?

It may be a long shot, they may not want to release that information.

10. COSInt

COSInt

Dec 19, 2012

I did and they were not able to provide that information.

What are some other examples of touch screens that were comparable and a fraction of the cost?

11. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I had to do a little sleuth work to see your asking price, for the price you are asking you can purchase a complete 7" Android tablet with a far better resolution touch screen...

As for comparable modules...

Go to Ebay and type in a search for

5" TFT
    5.6" TFT
    5.0" TFT

You will see they are half your asking price and multiple times the resolution...

I understand your desire to unload them for minimal lose but with the speed that this area has grown it's a long shot...

12. COSInt

COSInt

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks. I see that these do have a better resolution, you're right. Do you know if these can be used in all the same applications as the Amulet touch screens and are they the same quality and caliber?

We asked Amulet what they thought would be a good price to sell these at, and they said about half of what we paid for them to a reseller. So we think that this price (less then half of what we paid) would be good for an end user.

We just don't know who these end users are....

13. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    They can all be used in the same applications, are they direct replacements probably not...

To be blunt, few care... If these are a high quality and caliber why would anyone be in the market for a replacement so soon?

You have to understand even though they might have been the cat's meow a few years back, they are now obsolete... To put it another way, 10+ years ago everyone wanted a Sony Trinitron monitor/TV, today you can't give the darn things away...

If you want to see what they are worth, put one single one up for auction with a starting bid of 99 cents and see where it sells, this is probably the best way to determine market value...

14. COSInt

COSInt

Dec 19, 2012
    We put this up for auction, we'll see what happens... :eek:

Do you think someone would just buy one :confused:

You seem quite familiar with these, what type of end user, uses these screens?

15. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    I'm sure you would be more likely to find a hundred hobbyists who would play with 1, than 1 person that wanted 100.

If you make it clear that data is available -- even better by providing a link in the auction -- you'll get more interest.

The problem is that it will be a long and drawn out process to get rid of any significant quantity this way. Your postage and handling charges will have to be realistic or (at the low end) you'll lose money on wasted time and effort; or (at the high end) nobody will bid.

16. COSInt

COSInt

Dec 19, 2012
    Okay thanks. Who are some companies that would purchase these in bulk? Does anyone know?

17. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Electronics liquidators and surplus outlets, expect maybe a penny or two on the dollar...

18. COSInt

COSInt

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks. I tried all those places and you are right, pennies on the dollar. I'm really trying to find out who are the end users are and reach out to them directly. Any ideas?

Ask a Question