Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What type of capacitor

Jerigorn

Jan 5, 2018
So my Boston Acoustics sub is not powering (MCS 95). However, I believe I the fix as two capacitors are leaking on the power board. This is a common issue with these subs. I know basic soldering, but past that I'm lost. Here is a thread for a guy having the same issue. Could someone look through here and point me in the right direction for replacements (amazon, etc)? The zener diode he's referring to i found to be fried and replaced already. Many thanks all.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...-sub-power-supply-not-supplying-power.366102/

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Jerigorn . . . . .

How about going thru these possibilities on this pre- sorted list, and since only you know the dimensions and size limitations to fit within the available space . Then pick one that will fit your physical size limitations and lead spacing's. (Even refer to the data sheet if required )
Be sure that it is a FILM type cap ( but not a surface mount type ) and the values have already been sorted out with the unit being a 0.1 ufd value unit and a DOUBLING of the voltage rating on up to a then getting a cushy 400 VDC breakdown rating . . .vice the originals lower spec..
Lastly, check just to the left of the price, to confirm that it is being an IN stock item..

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Film-Capacitors/_/N-9x371?P=1z0wqusZ1yx4arf

Thasssssit . . . .

73's de Edd

Jerigorn

Jan 5, 2018
73's de Edd

Many thanks on the help. Would running a higher voltage cap damage the system in any way? As for the size, would i simply need to take measurements and align that to your sort list?

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
I believe from common numbering practices i see that the 104 is calling out 100000pF or .1uF capacitance and K would be for 10% the 250 on the second line would be calling out the voltage.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The small orange-ish capacitors are 0.1 uF (100 nF), 250 Vdc. However, they are mylar or some other metalized film construction, and do not leak. In the photos they look like they were glued down with RTV, not leaking. Large round electrolytics do leak, so if you have fluid evidence I would look at those first.

Can you post photos of your board and its components?

ak