Maker Pro
Maker Pro

what type micro controller

andrebr

May 28, 2010
Hi guys.
I'm a newbe to Micro Controllers, but I've been working with PLC systems in 12 years and programming VB in 6 years.
Recently, I've been thinking of a tv show I've seen on discovery. "Prototype this"
And the stuff they make on the show, its really awesome!
I could make a lot of the same stuff with a PLC, but it's not really the same.
I need I/O. analog and digital inn and output.

So here's my question:
-What do I need to start. Kits, drawings, annything...
-What type of Micro Controllers shoult I start with? I've used VB language, but I could convert my head to learn C#/C++. (which one is the easiest to learn, which one is mostly used)

Best regards
André :cool:

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
I won't go into great detail here so inquire about anything you need clarified. Let it be said that everyone has their opinions on matters like these so here are mine.

PIC micros (By http://www.microchip.com/) are a good starting point, they're cheap and so are entry programmers. A lot of people love the Arduino and Picaxe chips/development kits but if you're even remotely serious about projects and plan to make several they will quickly get expensive.

To program chips at a hobby or entry level you can build a programmer for next to nothing (JDM Programmer) or buy a Microchip made one (PicKit 2 , stick with version 2, version 3 doesn't provide anything to justify a higher cost).

C is the preferred language of many embedded designers, assembly and BASIC are also popular. I like C because it's a little faster to code in and easy to learn. Assembly can do things C can't, timing can be an issue, but C will do most of what you would need.

For a compiler I'd look at SDCC or PICC Lite.

Please everyone keep in mind these are MY opinions. I know comparing Atmel vs PIC and C vs ASM almost always starts flame wars. If you disagree state why and mention your preference.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
On the PIC side, there are also the PICAXE family of chips (actually programmed PICs) which are even easier and cheaper to get started with. Not as fast as using C or asm, but plenty fast enough for many things.

markus.dnd

Jun 17, 2010
AVR

I suggest atmel AVR, since it has really good C code support and it works perfect on unix while pic has some problems.

For starting with avr you need parallel port, few resistors and some time to read tutorials on ghetto programming. Also the uC itself.

here is one

Markus

maha22

Aug 7, 2010
hi everyone, i m student of final year engineering and doing my final project on microcontroller . so i want to know which PROGRAMMER IC is use to program 8051 microcontroller and what is the difference between AT89C51 AND AT89C051. and which book is best for 8051

Last edited by a moderator:

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
I studied microcontrollers for awhile, when the industry was fresh - then only got back into it again years later, after having been buried for years in analog work. Out of an old sense of familiarity - I played with Rabbit 2000 / 3000 processors for around a year. They're descended from the venerable Zilog Z-80 - and are robust, powerful, and easy to work with and learn on. Lightyears beyond a stamp controller. I then moved up to PIC microcontrollers. Again, well documented, well-supported, and powerful enough for the tasks I need (no graphics - a whole lot of hardware control). I'm currently using a PIC 18F4580 - because of the built-in CANbus - essential to what I'm doing. I find the PICDEM demo boards and software very helpful for development work.

elavarasu

Feb 7, 2011
hai . i seen your post. but i don't have more years of experience than you. i am an electronics engineer with embedded domain.i know the several microcontrollers and its functions.

and the software is main important one.in electronics point of view or embedded point of view,c program is the main important .because it has more advantages.

you are a beginner.so, you need to learn c programming first and must. it is a simple or powerful or flexible or portable language.simple data types,array's functions,pointers are very simple when compared to a object oriented progreamming languages.