Connect with us

what to use to protect solder and wires?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gormly, Jul 2, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. gormly

gormly

Jun 23, 2011
    I am a novice when it comes to soldering.
    What can I use to put on a solder point to protect it from pull and water?
    Like a glue or epoxy type stuff.

In the same vein, if I wanted to protect a battery from leaking in a small cylindrical container (just a bit larger than the battery) what could I fill it with?

I am basically replacing a 1300mAh battery with a 2600mAh battery and want to make sure it doesn't leak and doesn't break connection sort of like a fool proof solution.

so I'd like to fill the vessel with something to do both.:rolleyes:

2. daddles

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
    Don't pull on a solder joint. Some solders forms intermetallics with the copper; these tend to be brittle and more likely to break.

I would not recommend encapsulating a battery. Depending on its type, it may need to breathe. I'd also worry about the battery leaking.

Use strain reliefs on your wires if they're going to be pulled on. Better yet, design things to eliminate the pull. If you want to protect the solder joints, put the circuit into a hermetically-sealed container (for example, there are many suitable NEMA enclosures for this). Or, as you alluded to, you could encapsulate the whole circuit in something like epoxy. Of course, if you do, you'll never be able to fix it easily if a part goes bad.

If you're connecting two wires with a solder joint, there are special sleeves with a waterproof compound in them that are meant to protect the joint from water (typically used in well wiring).

3. gormly

gormly

Jun 23, 2011
    thank you! sorry so late in reply.

Ask a Question