Connect with us

What to do with these wires?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by esuus, Feb 6, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. esuus

esuus

Jun 12, 2012
    Hey guys,

So please don't beat me up for a potentially stupid question, electronics noob here. I had a loose contact on my Sony headphones' 3,5mm plug (MDR-V150).

So I bought a new plug, cut off the wire from the disfunctional plug, and am now ready to attach the wires to the new plug.

My question: The 4 wires that were in the audio cable of my headphone all seem to have the metal wire on the outside, and a fuzzy white kind of material inside. Please see attached image. This kind of cable confuses me.. what to do with it? Should I just ignore the plasticky inside and tie the small wires around the appropriate spots on the new plug anyhow? Or do I need to proceed differently with this cable? I also read, that some wires are coated and so need to be heated with a flame, and then scraped with a blade - does this apply? Though I'd probably burn the plastic, if I'd heat up anything here.

Thanks!
    E.

Attached Files:

2. Lenp

Lenp

Sep 8, 2009
    Red is right channel
    Black is left channel
    Connect both shields to common

3. pyromaniac4382

pyromaniac4382

Feb 7, 2013
    the string you speak of in normally included to increase tensile strength but in some cases manufacturers make the wire a polyethylene dielectric cable which is fancy for woven wires and string. They claim this increases smoothness of the audio, but I have yet to see this proven. you will get a better connection if you solder the wires instead of just twisting them together. Just get rid of or cut away the string first if you can.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Please refer them to the authorities for attempting to break the laws of physics.

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Heck, Monster Cables built an entire company on exaggerated claims like this... Not saying they don't make high end cables, just saying that they are far from anything revolutionary like many claim...

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    There's a difference between exaggerated and crazy. (Although I'm not sure Monster Cables are on the exaggerated side of that fine line)

7. esuus

esuus

Jun 12, 2012
    Great, thanks guys! Oh and I got a loose connection on that plug like 5 weeks after I bought it - not sure whether that tells us anything about the quality of the cable.

8. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Broken cables near plugs are usually due to poor construction, inadequate strain relief, or both.

9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I have seen many an 'exagerated' claim from them...

Look here for an example... http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=601

Now tell me that "Conical surface design for reduced resistance, better signal transfer, and superior sonic performance." doesn't make your eyes roll...

Ask a Question