Connect with us

What to do with all these chips?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by HellasTechn, Mar 30, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Good day dear friends, happy Μonday !
    Today I am posting something different for a change.
    Over the past decade many different kinds of boards have fallen into my hands for salvaging chips. Whenever I was in the mood and had enough time I would strip them and list the chips ive removed. I now sit back and wonder. What am I going to do with all these?
    Here is the list I have so far (in PDF). Any suggestions to build something with any of these components just for fun? For example ive builded a ram card a few years ago with a 256k static ram chip i found. here is a photo.
    P.S.
    I have alot more not listed so far :p

Attached Files:

• ic's.pdf
      File size:
      115.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      685.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Hello Konstantine,
    there are a few special chips (RDS decoder, radio Ic etc.) that might be fun to experiment with.
    There are quite a few standard chips (e.g. 74LSxx) that are imho not worth looking at. These have more modern CMOS equivalents should you ever need one.
    There are a few chips that seem to be useless today (e.g. the TEA1062) as the technology they were designed for is obsolete.

I used to keep magazines of high end chips (at the time) but I also regularly sorted them out after a few years: outdated, not worth the hassle, replaced by newer chips that are easier to handle. I keep a few chips in my storage, don't ask me why. Nostalgia?
    I almost never really use them. Mostly when I require something I get it fresh. Spares me the possible troubleshooting because I never know which state these old chips are in.

When I look for a project, I usually try to get a project idea, then look for the required ingredients, not the other way round.

Cheers,
    Harald

P.S.: I think Konstantine with a "K" is the correct transcription, not with a "C" as I used before? Just because I saw that "K." on your PCB...

3. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Thank you Harald.
    Indeed at the moment i am desperate for a project idea.
    By the way, sharp vision i see you have :)
    My name in Hellenic language is Κωνσταντίνος, romanized: Konstantinos also known as Constantine. Either with a K or with C it is correct because in Hellenic language we spell K the same way as C is spelled in latin.

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    From the counters and BCD-to-7-segment decoders you could build a clock (not the most intelligent idea, I admit).
    Use one of the pwm controllers for a switch mode power supply.
    Use the FM radio chip to build a radio.
    Make the clock control the radio so you have an alarm clock.

5. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    1. Clock, not a bad idea.
    2. Hmmm il think about it.
    3.i dont have the coils needed but do have transformer wire. Also i dont know how to calculate a coil.
    4.Alarm clock. No idea how to do that.

6. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Any time-of-day clock project is a good way to suck up lotsa TTL parts. For something different, consider a binary clock. Six columns of LEDs (on/off, red/green, whatever).

If in your pile of parts there are two analog meters, another variation is a meter clock: TTL counters > discrete D/A converter or stepped integrator > meter driver.

ak

7. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Basically, it is two sets of time-or-day counters, one for the display and one to hold the alarm value. The outputs of both counter strings drive the two sides of a bunch of magnitude comparators (7485 or equivalent). The A=B output from the comparators drives the alarm device.

If a basic clock is six counter chips plus control gating, an alarm clock is 18 chips plus much more control gating. Lotsa parts.

ak

8. TCSC47

TCSC47

Mar 7, 2016
    Well, HT, at least you have made a list out of all your chips! One up on me!

9. Col. Panek

Col. Panek

Jun 13, 2017
    Same thing I do with piles and boxes of RF components and old test equipment. Store them until I find a use for them, or I move, whichever comes first.

10. Wollowstone

Wollowstone

Mar 26, 2018
    Some projects shown by Ben Eater, on You Tube, seems to use those chips. There are mostly related to building a computer on breadboards, and video card, etc.

HellasTechn likes this.
  11. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Wow. I will definetly check out Ben Eater on youtube !

And the list is growing :p

12. bertus

bertus Moderator

Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    HellasTechn likes this.
  13. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Thank you bertus.
    For the time being i have alot to "process" but i will eventually check them also :)
    P.S.
    This guy Ben Eater is amazing ! I wish they would teach us stuff like that (the way he does) at school.

14. Wollowstone

Wollowstone

Mar 26, 2018
    Yes, he often spots "a mistake" in the circuit (or a limitation, whatever...) and THEN add a correction. You learn not just to "weld" components on a printed circuit, but "how to debug" a circuit. Not often the standard way of doing things which are more like: "and here, a circuit which work", followed by "some" explanations. I like his last video where he explains WHY he is building a computer (a MAC like one) on ... BREABOARDS, even with the limitations and poor reputation of these breadboards.

15. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Right.
    Well the breadboard is always the first step i take after i finish designing a circuit. If it passes the breadboard test then i continue designing the acual PCB.

16. bertus

bertus Moderator

Nov 8, 2019
    Hello,

An other way for prototyping is the manhattan style prototyping.
    In manhattan style prototyping, you can even mix though hole components with SMD.
    I will attach some documents with information.

Bertus

Attached Files:

Ask a Question