Connect with us

What to do with 200 LEDs?

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by carebare47, Dec 11, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. carebare47

carebare47

Oct 21, 2010
    Hello,

I was originally going to build something similar to this: http://circuitdiagram.net/flashing-heart-circuit.html for my girlfriend at Christmas. Got the circuit working on a protoboard with a few LEDs, ordered 200 LEDs with matching resistors off the internet (100 blue, 50 red and 50 green) and then the girlfriend left me (after a two year relationship )=. I now have 200 LEDs and no longer feel the need to use them to make a large LED heart. I am after a project that will keep me interested/distracted. Any ideas? I would go for a LED cube but I don't really have the money for a micro-controller programmer at the moment, or even a micro-controller for that matter. Ideas will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

2. LTX71CM

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
    First, sorry to hear that.

Second, I Googled a bit and found this page -> http://zedomax.com/blog/2009/10/08/top-30-led-diy-projects/

Some of the projects look interesting and entertaining enough to have me consider making them.

Edit: Yes I realize several of those projects use microcontrollers or other slightly expensive parts. Everyone including the OP is free to ignore them, especially project two, a VFD is not an LED...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Maybe make a glowing skull? (blue skull with flashing red eyes and green... something)

Or a sign of some sort?

4. carebare47

carebare47

Oct 21, 2010
    Those LED projects look great, but they would only use a few of the 200 LEDs, most require RGB and they all need extra money that I don't have at the moment. Thank you anyway though =)

The skull idea sounds awesome, but I am not really sure what I would form it around. Could you expand on how you would do it? And I would do the sign, but I don't know what it could say/show. Ideas for a sign/picture? ^_^

Many thanks,

Tom

5. LTX71CM

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
    How bright are the LEDs? Would you prefer something useful or showy?

6. carebare47

carebare47

Oct 21, 2010
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-pcs-5mm-R...upplies_ET&hash=item1c173329b7#ht_5962wt_1297

Just tried the blue one @ 3.2v & 25mA. It is very very bright if you look directly into it but not so bright from much of an angle. And as for useful/showy, either is good. I can't really think of anything that I need that requires 200 LEDs so I guess it will have to be showy.

Thanks,

Tom

Ask a Question