Connect with us

What the latch?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by BeagleFaceHenry, Jan 16, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Pyramid

Pyramid

Jan 17, 2017
    Please see post #11 above. If I read the OP correctly, he wanted a simple set/reset type flip-flop which this circuit provides. It may be simpler to use a octal latch i.e. 74273 types, but they don't have individual sets/resets.

The 74 series has higher current variants (AC), but they are limited to 5V supplies (I think the OP was looking for 9/12V capability). The 4049 or 4069 is a hex inverter, but w/o schmitt trigger inputs. AFAIK, the 40106 is the only version that meets his requirements.

2. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    I think perhaps they were thinking of wiring pairs of them as RS latches. See @Pyramid's post #11. I've done this many times, usually for de-bouncing SPDT switches... and you don't need the resistors shown in the schematic.

3. BeagleFaceHenry

BeagleFaceHenry

Nov 11, 2016
    May I ask, what's the functional difference (or similarity) between a flip flip and a hex inverter?

4. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    A flip-flop (NOT a flip flip, whatever that is) retains either of two stable output states and thus exhibits memory.

A (hex) inverter responds in real time to an input logic state by inverting that state without any memory of previous states: Thus if input = 1, output = 0; if input = 0, output = 1. In a hex inverter there are six of these logic elements, all acting independently.

5. BeagleFaceHenry

BeagleFaceHenry

Nov 11, 2016
    Ok, I'm still working on this one, thanks to anyone who is still hanging on.
    Great catch Hevans, thanks for the info. A hex inverter is nothing like a flip flop.

I have another question. I have a 9v wall wort that I'm using as a power supply. Most of the flip flops I see are rated for only 5v. I've seen a little 5v regulator (3 pin chip) at Radio Shack for a couple dollars. Is that 5v regulator chip what I need to protect my 5v flip flops from my 9v supply, or am I deluding myself once again?
    Thanks!

6. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    I have a flip-flop circuit using one P.B., two relays 3 diodes and a cap.
    M.

7. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Yes. I frequently use one for just that purpose when prototyping with 5 V TTL logic devices. If you use CMOS logic devices, they can be powered directly from your 9 V wall wart. Or you can "roll your own" flip-flop from discrete components as Minder suggested.

Ask a Question