Connect with us

What the heck is this thing?!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Pharaday, Feb 27, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Pharaday


    Jan 18, 2016
    2012-10-30_03-11-15_658.jpg Do I get 2 questions a day? Well, this thing is a TV focus block. Anyone know how it works? I was hoping I could use it as three potentiometers but none of the terminals in the back seem to be connected to eachother. Well how CAN I use this besides focusing TVs?
  2. 73's de Edd

    73's de Edd

    Aug 21, 2015
    Sir Pharaday . . . . . .

    I don't think that it will be of any use to you , since it uses moderately high . . . .2-8KV , and 8-12 KV voltages applied on parts of it.
    Functionally, it takes a single supply and provides 3 adjustable outputs from the three pots across the top.
    Another supply comes into the bottom and has 3 adjustable outputs from that supply.
    These are being the focus and screen grid adjustments of 3 color kine based Puny-sonic big screen TV's from ye olde past.
    Those are assuredly the very best quality pots, probably with gold flashed rotor contacts and built on a ceramic bisque blank, but requiring either silicone or epoxy potting to prevent any high voltage corona leakage due to potential humidity air presence.
    So I don't think that salvage would be a good consideration unless needed to be used in a like medium high voltage situation, since those pots are being up in the Megs of resistance ranges.

    73's de Edd
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2016
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day