Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What skills should I learn to find a better job as an optoelectronic engineer?

richard022

Oct 11, 2020
I'm currently studying for my MS degree in 'optoelectronics and optical fiber technology'. I got my bachelor degree in Materials Science and I feel kinda lost because I didn't acquire skills necessary for electronics studying it. We were more focused on chemistry, polymers, strength of materials etc. Now apart from studying I'm involved in a project about organic electronics, thin films deposition and OFET preparation but it's not really the field that I want to work in. I was thinking more about LED industry or some R&D regarding displays. I've got a good knowledge of chemistry, physics of organic semiconductors and light but I lack practical skills like programming (I know some HTML, CSS, javascript), CAD, EDA. I'm taking a python course on udemy to understand pyvisa better and I have to admit that I truly enjoy it. Then I plan to read up on C++. But what other skills would you recommend me to focus on?

What companies should I look up if I want to work in optoeletronics?

Thanks you for your advice :)

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Not really obvious to me what area you want to work in.
As an electrical engineer, I'm not expected to know HTML, CSS, javascript.
As a ML engineer, I tend to know some python, C, C++ Matlab.
In my organisation, which ois quite broad, some of the materials scientists work in applications of optical fibres, particularly sensors.
Software development circles, both large and embedded, are filled with people who started in other areas and learned enough to be useful in software development. One of our best came from the biological side to development and AI.
When I was at university, one popular option for physicists finishing was add an engineering degree on to their degree by maximally using cross-credits, as a mechanism to getting a paying job. Times may have changed.
Again when at university, electronics as taught by physics lecturers was always worlds apart from electronics as taught by electronics engineering lecturers, semiconductor physics is somewhat peripheral to electronic engineering, unless you are making devices, then I guess it's sort of central.
Companies? Sorry, can't advise. Not really my area. If R&D, look who makes devices or products; has them on the market.
LIDAR is one of those areas that has been coming for some time, but maybe more applied electronics/mechatronics than you want.
Hope it works out for you.

richard022

Oct 11, 2020
thank you for your replied answer.

Moderators note : deleted unrelated non english links

Last edited by a moderator: