Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What reason could be for a food processor's motor to run backwards?

Benny7440

Jan 14, 2016
Have a mini food processor that was given to me a long time ago that never was used and about two days ago tried to make a pureé but much liquid came out of it making a big mess. When, later, I made it to turn without any liquid inside noticed that, according to the blades, it was going in the wrong direction. Don't know if it has been tampered or serviced before it came to me.

I don't know it it can be noticed at the uploaded image but the plastic material that holds the blade is a little cracked; this alone tells me that it was abused a little or it was used for something correctly after it started to go in 'reverse'.

Is there something that can be done to make the motor going in the right direction? Thanks in advanced for any idea as to how to proceed!

Attachments

• Cuisinart_Mini-Prep_Processor_Model_DLC-1.jpg
    Cuisinart_Mini-Prep_Processor_Model_DLC-1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 60

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Generally these appliances have brushed Universal motors that cannot be reversed very easily unless it is built into the appliance.
Is it possible to view the motor to get a better idea?
M.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Has the blade been refitted and put in 'upside down'? Might explain why the plastic is cracked?

Benny7440

Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for replying!

Interestingly, the blade fits the base perfectly even though it says is mfg'd. by Sharp, this could mean that the parts aren't meant to be used together...

Attachments

• Blade_Food-Processor_Sharp.jpg
    Blade_Food-Processor_Sharp.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Motor_Mini-Food-Processor.jpg
    Motor_Mini-Food-Processor.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 74

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Appears to be a Universal motor if it does in fact have brushes, these have the field in series with the rotor, and it requires changing the polarity of one of them with respect to the other to change direction.
M.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
No wonder it runs backwards. Even the label is reversed :).
Seriously though, the cracks in the plastic blade-holder suggest someone has at some point removed the blade assembly from the motor shaft and re-assmbled things arse-about-face. Given those cracks, the assembly could disintegrate. I'd be reluctant to use the processor.

JWHassler

Dec 22, 2014
We have a juicer that reverses direction every other time the fruit is pressed down on the top

fredacole00

Feb 28, 2019
Wiring problem, I guess? Or is there a secret reversal function that you never noticed? The ones I saw at healthykitchen101.com can go clockwise and counterclockwise, so maybe give it a shot.