Connect with us

What range of frequencies would do this ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dxpwny, Feb 17, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dxpwny

dxpwny

Jul 9, 2011
    What range of frequencies would a "sound" wave have to be to travel easily through a homes outside walls, throughout the inside of the home (through internal walls) and produce a "sound" that is NOT heard, but causes a popping sensation in a persons ears ? Ear plugs, noise canceling headphones, ear muffs are not at all able to stop these "sound" waves.

I am being bothered by something like this and wish to obtain something that can do this to demonstrate that it is real.

Due to the circumstances, I know that this is battery powered and likely small enough to conceal under a jacket.

Anyone know where I might buy something like this ?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    no idea sounds more like a medical problem

3. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Sound is vibration. Making your ears pop normally requires a steady and constant change in air pressure, not a brief variation. Extremely low frequencies are sort of part way between the two, but reproducing them requires very large equipment and a lot of power so it couldn't be made hand-held.

You think someone is doing it to you? Try going somewhere where that person couldn't be, but in otherwise similar circumstances, and see if it still happens.

"You'd be paranoid too, if everyone was plotting against you!" -- Jim Hacker, 'Yes, Minister'.

4. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Additionally, different waves propagate differently through different materials. You will find that getting a sound wave to travel through a home is harder then expected. I own an 'annoyatron' ... it simply squeaks randomly every few minutes. (sounds like a mosquito in your ear) The frequency does not travel through walls or doors without turning the volume way up. Additionally, higher frequencies won't cause an ear to pop,
    Lower frequencies here would be of no concern. As mentioned above, this would require some very large and specialized hardware... A speaker can only play notes so low, then it gets to a point where it's simply moving slowly but not pushing any air any more. To get lower frequencies, you would need something like a rotary woofer, but again. These things cannot be hidden.

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    as I said .... look for a medical reason ... see your doctor

you may have tinnitus .... I know it drives me almost insane

Ask a Question