Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What programmer to use.

hornet07

Mar 9, 2016
Hi.

I'm just starting out with microcontrollers. I've got an atmega16A uC but no programmer yet. Problem is, there are so many products as well as unfamiliar terms that I can't seem to find the right one. I did find one that I'm reasonably certain would work, the AVRISP MKII, but it's very expensive where I live.

What I need is a relatively cheap programmer that is noob-friendly, will work with the atmega16A, and connects to the breadboard where the uC will be, not any kind of development board. I would prefer to use AVR Studio with this as well, but this is only optional.

I hope you can help.
Thanks.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi.

I'm just starting out with microcontrollers. I've got an atmega16A uC but no programmer yet. Problem is, there are so many products as well as unfamiliar terms that I can't seem to find the right one. I did find one that I'm reasonably certain would work, the AVRISP MKII, but it's very expensive where I live.

What I need is a relatively cheap programmer that is noob-friendly, will work with the atmega16A, and connects to the breadboard where the uC will be, not any kind of development board. I would prefer to use AVR Studio with this as well, but this is only optional.

I hope you can help.
Thanks.
Most μC can be programmed with a parallel or serial port on the PC with the right components...
For example : https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/14
AVR-PG1B-sch.gif

Luckily it's an AVR... if it were a PIC, you would need a boost converter or some other 12V supply... :s