Connect with us

what name are those plugs?

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Tim Shoppa, May 18, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Tim Shoppa

    Tim Shoppa Guest

    It looks like two round concentric steel cylinder

    Generically "Coaxial DC power plugs".

    2.1mm and 2.5mm are the most common not-mini sizes, but some laptops
    use a non-standard size.

  2. Orc General

    Orc General Guest

    What is the name of those plugs that you see at the end of most laptop power
    supply? It looks like two round concentric
    steel cylinder wrap around each other thereby forming the +voltage
    and -voltage source for the laptop.

    Where can you buy some blanks? I am looking to build a replacement laptop
    power source, I have the right voltage/amp
    but need the correct connector going into the laptop.
  3. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest

    These plugs are what we call 'highly standardized' - there are about a
    dozen or so standards. Radio Shack has many of them.
  4. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Some call them "barrel connectors"
  5. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    I've actually been to RS looking for one, and the drone actually had
    a string of comparison connectors. (kind of like a very long charm
    bracelet.) Take the laptop in, and start trying connectors until one fits.
    Buy that one. :)

  6. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    No, they don't. A "barrel connector" is one that you poke a wire into each
    end and crimp them in. Also known as a "barrel splice", but I have seen
    them called "barrel connectors", like at the hardware store.

  7. JeffM

    JeffM Guest

    What is the name of those plugs
    Obviously, some do:

    "Barrel connector" is so generic that it has no useful meaning:
    You will find as many definitions as there are tech diciplines:

    I wouldn't call Rich's gizmo a "barrel connector" or a "barrel splice".
    I'd call it a butt splice.
  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    And your absolute expertise derives from ....?

    This is a big land, with many cultures. Tissue; Kleenex. What is a milkshake
    in Indiana is a frappe in Massachusetts, where "regular" coffee has milk or
    cream in it. There's soda and pop. Also sodapop. Travel some, Rich, and
  9. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    OK, three corrections in one post! Guess I can take three days off now.

    (actually, I already knew about the butt splice; just had a minor
    lapse of attention, aka brain fart. :) )

  10. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    45 years' experience, thank you very much. :)
    I liked JeffM's correction(s) better, but thanks. :)

  11. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Rich Grise wrote:

    Always happy to oblige. ( It's non-fattening. ;-) )
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day