Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What music do you like?

TCSC47

Mar 7, 2016
Bringing the tone down a bit --- well, quite a lot actually, ---- we saw these guys at the Foxlowe in Leek (Staffordshire, England as we have non-UK posters here) a couple of years ago. Their name, "The Bar Steward Sons of Val Doonican" give the game away as to what to expect. If you ever get the chance to see them live, totally irreverent, hilarious, and fun! Roll on Covid lockdown unlocking!

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Can't believe nobody's mentioned Yanni yet. I don't normally pay a lot of attention to who plays what music, even when I like the music; but in the mid 90's I happened to hear Yanni on the radio--not too many stations will play his music, it doesn't seem to fit into their format--anyway, I got completely hooked after I heard "In the Morning Light."

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
I can!. Not my type of music at all. Not even dinner table background music. Sorry.
Martin
Actually, Yanni once said he didn't want his music to be background music--I think he said specifically that he didn't write his music to be "relaxing"; he wanted to engage the listener. So you two are in accord on that score.
No disagreement here if you don't like his music. Different folks, different strokes.

ben1990

Jun 8, 2020
I think @davenn pretty much hit the nail on the head with that list. As said, dozens more too. I am 52 and would add 80s to the list.
I’ve been enjoying freeview channel Now 80s while soldering and tinkering.
During the 80s and 90s, I ran a successful mobile disco. So my music taste is truly universal. I still have all my vinyl records too. Approx 15000.

But for internet music (or noise), a chap on Yourube uses floppy disk drives and HDDs about 100 of them.

Martin
As a vintage disco/PA gear geek, I have to ask you what equipment you had!! If you dont mind!!

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
As a vintage disco/PA gear geek, I have to ask you what equipment you had!! If you dont mind!!
I don't mind at all.
I believe I started with a simms-watts double deck that was broken. The amplifier was blown and a TV tech, who lived upstairs, helped me bypass the internal amp. I added a Dual power amp.
The speakers were no name boxes with fairly descent drivers which I cannot recall. Possibly Kestrel? or something like that.
I built a second 'twin decks' with two Pioneer decks and a Tandy (radio shack) mixer as a back-up. But somewhere in between, I had a Citronic stateline?. These worked flawlessly for years until I bought three Technics SL1200s.
Then some Crown amps etc.
The lighting was all home made with multi-pin Bulgin connectors and some scanners.
Nothing too exciting or extravagant I'm afraid.
I really don't recall too much about the equipment, only the lighting that was a never ending project and continuously changing.
Even the old photographs got ruined in a leaking garage!.
Twelve years ago I bought more equipment for my wifes 40th birthday party. It was pretty much 'Martin Audio', American DJ, Pro sound amongst others. I made some more up to date lighting with mirrors and smoke etc.
Good old days!

Martin

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I do not think RAP is music. It is a bunch of pots and pans (as drums) banging in the background and a guy reading a book out loud in the foreground.;

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah, Rap was invented by people who can't get rich singing or playing professional sports.
Here are a few 'oldies' that I like that I never hear on the radio anymore:
Nights in White Satin (Moody Blues)
Lucky Man (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) turn the volume up and the organ riff will lift you out of your seat.
Classical Gas (Mason Williams)
Cherish (Done by The Association, but I like the Lettermen version better)
It's hard to pick one group or musician, there is a lot of great music out there. These are just a few of
my favorites I only get to hear on my recordings now.