Maker Pro
Maker Pro

what motor

ant62

Aug 5, 2019
hi all need advice please, i am making a display turntable for my wife's soap business i want to motorize it using my camping leisure battery. what motor should i look at getting will i need a speed controller (she wont be happy if i send her soaps through the air), the motor would need to have enough torque to turn a 12" diameter plate and approx 12 bars of soap, yes i am a novice at electronics so be gentle any ideas or advice will be gratefully received.TIA

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
If the plate is supported by good bearings, then very little torque is required. A record turntable will do the job but I expect that you will need to set the speed,. If so, then you want a DC motor and a variable voltage power supply often known as a buck convertor. These are available cheaply from China.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
The easiest would probably be a mains AC powered, synchronous direct drive geared motor, similar to what is used on microwave turntables or heaters that oscillate.

They come in various RPMs, I'd think you would want one of the slower versions like possibly 2-3 RPM? As you might imagine, the lower the RPM the higher the torque capability with all else (except the gear ratio inside it) equal. Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/TYC-50-Synchronous-2-5-3RPM-Rotation-Torque/dp/B01K765HZ4

As duke mentioned your table will need good bearings then the motor is mounted under it, does not support the weight of the turntable.

I don't know how long one of those would last running hours at a time. Otherwise there are many motors to choose from, whether gear reduced or by adding your own pulley and belt reduction. Brushless would be better for lifespan but I don't know your budget or even if you're in the US.

Come to think of it, I might favor a belt driven system with a loose-ish belt tension so if customers abuse it, the belt will take the beating.

Last edited:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
i want to motorize it using my camping leisure battery. what motor should i look at getting

Is this a 12vdc source?
If so there are quite a selection of small geared DC motors out there with different gear ratios.
M.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Gearing is an amazing thing. This is the motor I used on a prop I built, which was an oversized music box with a Barbie doll spinning on top. It is 3V and 20mA and is quite powerful enough to spin a platter with some soap samples. This one is 30 RPM, they come in many speeds. 9V battery is just for size comparison. This would run for about 100 hours on 2 AA batteries, no need for an RV battery!

upload_2019-8-6_11-39-17.png

ant62

Aug 5, 2019
Gearing is an amazing thing. This is the motor I used on a prop I built, which was an oversized music box with a Barbie doll spinning on top. It is 3V and 20mA and is quite powerful enough to spin a platter with some soap samples. This one is 30 RPM, they come in many speeds. 9V battery is just for size comparison. This would run for about 100 hours on 2 AA batteries, no need for an RV battery!

i am amazed at the size, thought i would need a lot larger, many thanks