Connect with us

What kind of part is this?

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by Isaac Wingfield, Jan 27, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Working on a sony PSOne video display with no documentation.

    First problem was a tiny fuse of some sort; it was open. Shorted it with
    a wire. From the way the power supply was behaving (pulsing on and off),
    I decided that some component had shorted, ant that's what took the fuse

    By some judicious cutting of traces, I was able to isolate one component
    that was shorted (it connecetd between the voltage bus and ground), and
    by cutting one of the traces to it, the whole display fired up and
    seemed to work just fine.

    Now I need to know what that part is so I can replace it.

    It looks like a black rectangular tantalum surface-mount cap, except the
    the letters printed on it, and the component designator on the board by
    it, aren't right.

    There's one obvious tantalum cap on the board. Its designator is "CP1";
    this thing is "DP1", and on it are some odd symbols followed by "133",
    and below that the letters "ZHU".

    If it were a capacitor, then one of the two would be "CP2", but this is

    So I'm thinking "diode", but I have no idea what specs it should have.

    Note again that the display is working fine without it, but still, I'd
    like to get it fixed properly.

    Any idea what it is?

    thanks, Isaac
  2. Arfa Daily

    Arfa Daily Guest

    I would say that it is almost certainly a diode, and if it's right after the
    fuse, on the main feedline coming in from the power supply, then its purpose
    will be reverse polarity protection - and it's probably done its job. Ask
    the owner if they tried a " wrong " power supply in it ...

    Assuming that it is a diode, and even being a surface mount type, it should
    have some kind of polarity marker on it, either a stripe at one end, or a
    chamfer on the case, then any general spec surface mount silicon power diode
    will do. It would probably be rated something like 100v, 1 amp. It
    should be connected cathode to rail, anode to deck, so that it is not
    conducting under normal circumstances.

  3. The Shar Par

    The Shar Par Guest

    Without seeing it I'd say it's a Varistor.

    Basically it's a voltage dependent resistor, a kind of surge protector
    - they invariably go short circuit.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day