Connect with us

What is this?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by glewis721, May 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. glewis721

glewis721

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi all
    I was at a garage sale recently and I picked this up for 50¢. It seems to be homemade. At first I thought that it was a continuity tester, but it doesn't have a battery in it, and it has a bulb just like the one in my neon test lamp. The device has a 100K resistor in series with the light bulb, and the other lightbulb wire goes to a probe-thingy, while the red wire on the other side of the resistor is connected to an alligator clip. I tested the thing as a voltage detector, but that didn't work and I don't want to try it with mains power because 115v might fry the resistor. Attached some photos, sorry the second one is of the bulb and the bulb has no filiment.

Attached Files:

2. glewis721

glewis721

Apr 30, 2013
    Sorry this is the first photo

Attached Files:

3. brevor

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
    I think thats just an old AC tester, the clip goes to the neutral wire and the probe lights up when it touches 120 V.

4. glewis721

glewis721

Apr 30, 2013
    Thanks I just was nervous about the resistor melting or the like

5. garyson0

garyson0

Jun 5, 2013
    It was Old AC Tester.

Ask a Question