Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What is this weird plug/transformer?

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
I have an electrical plug and I don't understand what it's all about. It looks a lot smaller than a transformer usually does and although it says DC5 on the side, I outputs about 4.8 V AC. If I wanted to find out about its use what would I need to type into Google? What usees 4.8 V AC?

I have this video of it:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
It is a small 5vdc SMPS, Switch Mode Power Supply, commonly know as a 'Wall Wart'
M.

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
I have an electrical plug and I don't understand what it's all about. It looks a lot smaller than a transformer usually does and although it says DC5 on the side, I outputs about 4.8 V AC. If I wanted to find out about its use what would I need to type into Google? What usees 4.8 V AC?
Are you really sure it's putting out AC? Some DMMs can't distinguish between AC and DC when on their AC setting because their input is direct-coupled rather than coupled through a capacitor, and these will interpret a DC voltage as if it were AC. Check the output of your device with the DMM on a DC range and see what you get.

Is this device the square gadget in the background of your video, plugged into the outlet strip? If so, it strongly resembles the 5 volt, 1 amp charger that came with my Amazon.com Kindle e-reader.

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
It is a small 5vdc SMPS, Switch Mode Power Supply, commonly know as a 'Wall Wart'
M.

But it's not a wart! It's vissible in the video immediately behind the probes and connector (which is being probed). I'm familiar with wall warts but they're usually pretty chunk and this is pretty not [chunky]!

Are you really sure it's putting out AC? Some DMMs can't distinguish between AC and DC when on their AC setting because their input is direct-coupled rather than coupled through a capacitor, and these will interpret a DC voltage as if it were AC. Check the output of your device with the DMM on a DC range and see what you get.

Is this device the square gadget in the background of your video, plugged into the outlet strip? If so, it strongly resembles the 5 volt, 1 amp charger that came with my Amazon.com Kindle e-reader.

In the video I tested with the DMM set to DC first and then switched to AC. Unfortunately I didn't wait for the reading to settle because it is infact zero when I connect the DMM in DC mode. I would have expected it to fluctuate up and down rather than read zero but maybe that's what this DMM does? [Yes,] the plug is visible plugged into the strip in the background of the video.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
There is not the usual mass and weight factor of a 60~ transformer being inside of the unit.

Instead, they are rectifying the power input and reverting to the use of a switch mode technology operating on
up into the xx thousands of cycles or even 100x thousands of cycles and then that developed AC / Sq wave DC is then rectified to pure DC, with only minimal filtering being needed at those high of a conversion frequencies.

The real kicker for the identification of these types of power converters is their low weights, along with the INPUT VOLTAGE spec of 95----240 Volts AC or DC.