Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What is this thing?

suchanoob

Jul 29, 2018
Hello.

I found this very old piece, pics below. It is heavy for it's size, seems to have four terminals with top pair wired towards inside and bottom pair is contact.

I thought it is a motor from old ventilator, but when connecting bottom pair of terminals to 9V or even 6V power supply it emits loud gargling sound, the kind you get from speakers with bad connection, so now I think this is a speaker. If it was a motor, with this weight it shouldn't be doing anything when connected to such low voltage, right?

If it is audio element, do you think I can safely connect it with wires from woofer to try it out?

Please let me know if you know what this is and if you can estimate it's specifications.

zNwIId5.jpg

nMxEuyB.jpg

suchanoob

Jul 29, 2018
If it had labels on the outside they are long gone, I don't see any engravings either.

I did not open it yet, as I'm not sure where I left the fitting screwdriver. *blush*

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
It's a compression driver for a horn speaker. The back cover is missing and it has no horn attached. From physical size, it's probably in the 20 Watt range. Horns of this size are typically used as car and house alarm sounders as well as for small public address systems.

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
I took another look at the size and edited my post after you quoted my first bad guess. o_O

suchanoob

Jul 29, 2018
Ah cool, so this thing can make some scary noise if paired with a horn!

Thank you very much.