Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What is this Soft SMD Standoff?

Bruce Chou

Jan 23, 2018
I'm looking for a soft standoff that can be reflow soldered on the PCB, like the one in the picture below. Unfortunately there are no markings and I have no idea what this part is. Has anyone seen this before and knows a place that makes this part?

upload_2018-1-22_17-15-57.png
Side view Top view

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I have never seen such a component. I think it is likely not a single component as a soft material is likely to melt during the reflow process. From the side view I guess this is a smd component soldered onto the PCb plus a soft standoff (or whatever that blob is good for) glued on top after soldering.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Is it a component? A 45 degree view might help. It could just be a pressure pad to relieve flexing on the board? I can't see any solder pads or tracks to it.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Why? I doubt there is anything about the device that needs such an arrangement. The felt or whatever it is, would still need an adhesive to attach to a metal back plate, and the adhesive could directly attach it to a PCB instead.

It seems more like a hack to fix a manufacturing/design mistake, that they didn't design adequate mounting or their measurements were off so the board flopped around too much and they didn't want to scrap them and start over.