Connect with us

What is this Soft SMD Standoff?

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by Bruce Chou, Jan 23, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Bruce Chou

Bruce Chou

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm looking for a soft standoff that can be reflow soldered on the PCB, like the one in the picture below. Unfortunately there are no markings and I have no idea what this part is. Has anyone seen this before and knows a place that makes this part?

upload_2018-1-22_17-15-57.png
    Side view Top view

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    I have never seen such a component. I think it is likely not a single component as a soft material is likely to melt during the reflow process. From the side view I guess this is a smd component soldered onto the PCb plus a soft standoff (or whatever that blob is good for) glued on top after soldering.

3. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Is it a component? A 45 degree view might help. It could just be a pressure pad to relieve flexing on the board? I can't see any solder pads or tracks to it.

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    No tracks, but in the right photo there seem to be copper pads (gold plated?) in the lower left corner and upper edge.

5. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Why? I doubt there is anything about the device that needs such an arrangement. The felt or whatever it is, would still need an adhesive to attach to a metal back plate, and the adhesive could directly attach it to a PCB instead.

It seems more like a hack to fix a manufacturing/design mistake, that they didn't design adequate mounting or their measurements were off so the board flopped around too much and they didn't want to scrap them and start over.

Ask a Question