Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What is this part called?

midnight coffee

Oct 4, 2012
I'd like to know what these are,how to find its value,& what would I find them under on digikey & mouser?These are off a xbox 360.The newer types(XCGPU/APU).One came off & I accidently bridged another when trying to solder the one in the pics back on.Would like more detail on the name rather than capacitor networks.These have 8 solder joints
0423142236.jpg 0423142237.jpg 0423142242.jpg

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I can't make out anything more than a black rectangle. See if you can get some better pictures.

midnight coffee

Oct 4, 2012
Here is a better pic off the internet.It was a bright brown color like the others on the xcgpu/apu before it met my solder iron.First 2 pics was to better show just how small each on of them are.And the 3rd pic you can see the 8 solder tabs on the top left corner by the cpu dye.
And on this pic I got off google,its easier to see where the solder joints are on them.On the sides
XCGPU.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are resistor networks that look like this, however I think they look more like capacitors.

The only read way to know what value they are is to measure them -- good luck -- or to find the specs somewhere.

Once you have that, you can look for the parts. You'll need to know thew size of them. They look about 0805 size to me (8/100ths of an inch by 5/100th of an inch) . <-- this is actually VERY important to know.

Once you find them, you may be lucky enough to be able to buy them in quantities less than hundreds.

Then all you need to do is to solder them back on. How good is your soldering?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Here is an example of what I think it might be.

If it is something like this then you're in luck as they're available at reasonable prices in small quantities.

But on the other hand, do you think you can solder the original ones back?

midnight coffee

Oct 4, 2012
Thanks steve!I'm alright at soldering but new with this micro stuff,first time I worked on something this small.I think I had my iron set way to high,making it turn black.Or might have just had it on to long.I was thinking about trying a couple things.
Tape it down with kapton tape leaving one side exposed to solder,then do the other side.
Or put some super glue on a needle,& brush the needle down the very center quickly & sticking it on the apu.Then use the kapton tape.

I know it sounds a bit much but these are so light,heat up extremely quick,& while hot it doesn't take much air to move these.Its going to be a real pain but I think I can get it.
What happend,I was reflowing the xcgpu/apu & I had the air to high causing one to fly off the chip.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The easiest method is to clean up the pads whee the capacitor is to go, and put the cap in place, holding it with a toothpick or similar.

With an almost dry iron, touch one corner, hopefully tacking a connection in place.

Then, still holding it, try to get the solder to reflow onto the pads. The go back to the first side again and repeat the process.

Try not to hold the soldering iron on the device for more than a second.

Inspect it under a loupe to make sure all the connections are soldered and that no connections are bridged.

The hard thing will be to get it correctly aligned and tacked into place. Once you've done that, the rest is just difficult.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
When I solder parts this size, using paste solder, I practically tap it with the point of the iron, barely holding it on for any time at all, well under1 second anyway.

Bob