Connect with us

What is this part called?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by skybomb0, Apr 19, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. skybomb0

skybomb0

Apr 19, 2012
    I am pretty new to electronics. I bought an Arduino Uno a couple weeks ago and played around with it. Now, I took apart a Tyco RC car and found a magnetic steering mechanism. The steering mechanism is a coil that sits inside a magnetic ring. There are two wires coming out of the mechanism. Each one is connected to one end of the wire making up the coil. There are two pictures, one with the mechanism together, one with the decomposed.

My first question is what is this mechanism called?

When the inside part is lined up with the notch in the ring and 5v is passed through, the internal component rotates 90 degrees. When the current is reversed, it turns180 degrees (-90 degrees from starting position).

My problem is that once the internal component rotates 90 degrees, it rotates 180 degrees every other time. So I can only make the car turn left and right, never straight. How do I rotate the internal component so the steering mechanism is straight again?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

2. selanac

selanac

Apr 15, 2012
    The left picture is a Transformer or Coil. Could you turn the right picture over? See if there's a part number, and google it.

3. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    remove the power all together?

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Confucius Say: "The car goes straight unless you are turning..."

5. gorgon

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
    The frist that came to my mind was to add a spring to bring it back to neutral position. Depending on how fast the turning action is, you could modulate the control pulsing with asymetrical PWM to get some sort of analogue control of the action. This will also be depending on how the electronics is constructed, I suppose you would need a proper H-bridge driver for this bipolar PWM control.

TOK ;)

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Are you sure your input control power is wired correctly?

7. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    BTW I wasn't just being silly with that reply, think about it for a second...

If you are going down the road in a real car and make a turn and then let off the steering wheel what happens? In almost all cases the answer should be the steering wheel whips back to center and the car assumes a straight path...

Same applies here, this is the bare basic cheap way to steer an RC car, it depends on the fact the wheels will self return to straight/center because that is the direction of least resistance when moving...

8. skybomb0

skybomb0

Apr 19, 2012
    I don't think PWM will work well since the magnetic field is so strong. The turning is instantaneous. But if nothing else works, I will try it out. But I will need an H-Bridge to properly reverse the current. I have just been swapping the wires during preliminary testing.

That makes sense. I didn't think of that. I have been testing each component on a pedestal to make it easy to quickly change things.

9. gorgon

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
    Swapping wires are a long way from PWM. If the response is fast you could try to make a bipolar PWM. The PWM periode will need to be a fraction of the mechanical turning time. If you send a symetric 50/50 bipolar PWM, you should i theory make the wheels stay in any fixed position, A 45/55 should turn(slowly?) one way and a 55/45 should turn the other. But theory is normally squished by hard reality :D

One thing that could happen is that the coil will heat up too much.

You only need to try :rolleyes:

TOK ;)

10. skybomb0

skybomb0

Apr 19, 2012
    I meant I was swapping the wires to reverse the current. So I will need an H-Bridge to reverse it properly. I understand how to implement PWM on an Arduino board.

Ask a Question