Connect with us

What is this microswitch called (replacement needed)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Tset Tsyung, Dec 8, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Tset Tsyung

Tset Tsyung

Dec 8, 2014
    Hey all,

I'm repairing a guitar multi-effects pedal. It doesn't always register that you've 'stomped' on one of the pedals and I've narrowed the problem down to this switch (see attached images)

However I'm having trouble finding a replacement. Is there a particular name for this style of microswitch? Is it even a microswitch? Any idea where to get a replacement?

Many thanks, and I apologise for any faux pas' as this is my first post here.

Mike.

Attached Files:

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi Mike and welcome to Electronics Point :)

That's an odd username to choose if your name is Mike...

That looks like a "tact switch" aka "tact button". They're used for front panel pushbuttons on appliances. They're not designed to be stomped on though. I hope the pedal doesn't put the full foot pressure on that little thing!

Does it make a little click and give you a "tactile" feel when you press it?

If it's a tact button, have a look at this huge range of options from Digi-Key: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv69=80&FV=fff40011,fff8005e,2080007,3ac000e,8400010,18300002&stock=1&quantity=1&pageSize=500

You may be able to find them locally but Digi-Key is a good place to start because they only carry good quality manufacturers and they have a huge selection.

Edit: You can reduce those options pretty quickly using the filter. For example, remove all the ones with long actuators, and the ones with buttons attached, etc. Then click Apply Filters.

3. Tset Tsyung

Tset Tsyung

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi Kris!

Yeah... that's an old Gaming Alias that I still use to this day... Can't even remember how I came up with it, lol.

As for the button, I'm afraid that it IS what your foot goes on. Well perhaps not the whole weight, but it is operated by the foot. The effects pedal is a Zoom 707 and this little switch goes under 1 of the 2 front buttons (again, operated by foot). I would post an image but haven't got one to hand - googling it produces good enough shots.

But THANK YOU SO MUCH For the information. I'm going to prob get one from Digi-key as there aren't any electronics outlets except for Maplins around here, and they only do the four leg versions.

Again, many thanks!

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hmm. Good luck!

Ask a Question