Connect with us

What is this?!! -metra 99-3303

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by acer1, Nov 7, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. acer1

acer1

Nov 7, 2012
    Hello I have a Metra 99-3303 module, the other day I heard a pop and off it goes. When I took it apart I found the following had cracked and came off the board. I have replaced some circuit board components in the past and hopefully I can do the same here so I don't have to spend another $150.. The component is attached between C4 & D1. Any ideas what it could be? Possibly a fuse? Thank you in advanced for your help

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    It appears to be a diode, any better picture where we can see the color? The color of it will give 'some' possible indication of what kind of diode...

3. acer1

acer1

Nov 7, 2012
    Sorry i should have explained it in detail more. its a small black cylinder with a what looks like a gray line on one end. Here are some pics, sorry they are not great.

Attached Files:

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    The dark grey/black color and white/grey band means it's probably just your normal generic rectifier diode...

You can probably just bend the leads on a 1N400x diode and make it fit or get the SMD equivalent like the LL400x series... I would get the highest value you can easily obtain that being the 1N4007 or LL4007 so that you have the voltage overhead unless you want to measure and confirm what the voltage is at that point...

5. acer1

acer1

Nov 7, 2012

Thank you so much!! I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Mind the polarity, since the part is no longer on the board and the board appears to lack any polarization markings, you might want to take a continuity meter or your eyes and try to identify the ground/cathode side...

*** EDIT you might be able to take the part that blew off and figure out how it fit (polarity) based on the existing broken solder joint fitting together, not an easy puzzle but sometimes easier than expected...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  7. acer1

acer1

Nov 7, 2012
    The solder points are so small they don't really line up at all. I emailed the manufacture to see if they have any input. I very much appreciate your help.

8. alfa88

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
    An eye loupe might help you in this case.

Ask a Question