Connect with us

What is this component?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by chucky, Mar 4, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. chucky

chucky

Mar 4, 2013
    I am not sure if this is the correct location for this question. Please instruct me if I need to go to another part of the forums.
    I found a odd looking component today on my work bench. This does not have anything to do with anything I have been or am working on.The problem is that I have no clue what it is. I am going to post pictures so if someone could look at it and let me know what it looks like to you guys. All input is appreciated very much.
    The two red wires were soldered together but came apart while I was moving it from place to place. I have looked and looked but am unable to identify this. I cannot make out the round part or the funky looking s wire a the end of the other wire. I can post better pictures if need be. Help!

Attached Files:

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Looks like an electrolytic microphone capsule...

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I think you mean Electret Condenser microphone :)

its normal to see them in that rubber housing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electret_microphone

cheers

Dave

4. chucky

chucky

Mar 4, 2013
    electret microphone capsule, would this be for listening to what comes out of it or to pick up sound some way or what? How about the s wire thing, what purpose would that be if you are correct?
    Thanks ............. any other ideas are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013
  5. chucky

chucky

Mar 4, 2013
    Another follow up. The posted link had this line in it(which eliminates the need for a polarizing power supply by using a permanently charged material), so can someone explain this?

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Yes predictive spell check haunts me...

To Chucky, where are you going with your inquiry? It's a microphone technical aspects of the design of this particular microphone is another subject..

7. chucky

chucky

Mar 4, 2013
    Honestly speaking. You can say I have seen to many movies or that I am paranoid. Earlier today in my place of business I started hearing a intermittent beep. I moved around the work room and it seemed to move away from me. It was a very odd maybe once every 45 seconds lasting about one second. I would go to the spot it sounded like it came from but then it would sound like it was in another spot. I did this for a while trying to chase it down. I killed the power to my shop and it was still going on. I discounted every battery backup power supply I had in case it was one of them. I still heard it. Long process of elimination and I went back over to the main bench where I do a lot of my work. It sounded as if at was right there. So I started(at this point the power had been turned back on) looking around in this area. I decided to unplug everything at this one work station. My back is bad so rather than to reach low and unplug the florescent light at that work station I pulled the plug from the end of the light. These are the cheap wal mart 3 ft light. When I did this I noticed-it was loose a bit so I inspected it and pulled it down from the two screws holding it in place. Well, I found what appeared to be a small, very small spot where some of the plastic had been looked like clipped away. The backing was lose and as I inspected the backing a very small circuit board fell out. Maybe 1/3 of an inch square. That made me look even closer. I found this inside right next to the clipped out area. It was attached to the power switch wiring of the light. This light never gets turned off. I have it on all the time, 24/7. It looked like a mic of some kind to me. You know where I am going now. Could this some how be used as a listening device or am I nuts. The sound stopped when I pulled the plug and it has not started back up.

8. chucky

chucky

Mar 4, 2013
    One more thing. I have a few of these lights. I pulled three others and checked also. None of them had this inside. The one I took this out of did have the clips on the underside broken off. These clips enable you to separate the backing from the rest of the unit. I attempted to see if I could get into one of the others and eventually I broke these same clips on the one I was playing with. The work I do is sensitive work so this has me a bit worried. It's all just very odd.

9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    What you have listed you found in the light could very well be a 'listening bug' where are the pictures of the circuit board?

As for the beep, check your smoke detector batteries as well...

10. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
  11. Electrobrains

Electrobrains

Jan 2, 2012
    The "S" thing could be an antenna...

12. chucky

chucky

Mar 4, 2013
    I have uploaded a couple of shots I just took of the board and added them to the others. I never saw anything actually attached to the board because it fell out by it self. But The wiring was attached to the red (I am assuming power wire from the plug) wire inside.

My expertise is computers and system and hard drive recovery, forensics. I get a lot of data forensic cases from a lot of rural towns and smaller cities that are unable to keep a full time data forensics person on staff as well as a few larger cities when they get backed up and I get a lot in here from lawyers across the country that want to confirm or argue some one else s finding. I am certified for full discovery but normally I don't have to testified in court but I have in the last two months at least three times which is pretty rare.

I have checked all of my smoke alarms here and all of my security system sensors. I had done that about three weeks ago because I did get a phone call to come and turn off the system and let the police in to check. I have two side doors and an alarm on one door was set off and about 3 minutes later the second doors alarm went off. The alarm company said it was the sensor on each door that goes into a countdown when they are opened and closed. No damage was seen and the police suggested I check my batteries. Alarm company said it could be that but unlikely, they also said it was unlikely it was vibration due to it not setting the two doors off at the same time. I have motion sensors in here also but I have come in at times myself and not set those off UNLESS I go a few feet beyond this particular work station.

Here is another concern. I have a discovery case in here concerning fbti(remove the t, only put that t in to prevent this thread from being searched. But that agency, phone taps and bribery. So here is my concern laid out as much as I can.

Attached Files:

13. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
  14. chucky

chucky

Mar 4, 2013
    I want to thank those that gave me some help here. It wasn't a wild goose chase. I had a buddy look at it. He confirmed it was a transmitter. He even got it working and found it was a spread spectrum device. Better than what someone could pick up a spy shop and more like a professional item. The beeping he said was because the microphone went bad and for some reason it started beeping. He thinks it went into a type of diagnostic mode. So thanks a lot guys

15. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    He managed all that with a slide switch on a broken pc board?

What started to beep, the switch?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Don't you guys get it. This is a super high tech transmitter disguised to look like a harmless broken piece of a PC board. Although it is a little curious these super-spies would have included a feature that would give it away...

Bob

17. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The board doesn't appear broken to me.

I'm sure it's careful trimming to maximise performance.

But perhaps I've said too much...

18. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    Hey everyone! I've figured out chucky's true identity!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Ask a Question