Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What is this component?

slow96z

Apr 11, 2012
Hi guys, I hope everybody is doing well. My house got struck by lightning and the power supply of my TV lost a couple of components, one of which I have never seen before...hoping you can help me out. It is currently completely missing, with the exception of the pink ends left on the wires that are soldered to the board so I have no way of identifying it. The fine people at Sharp refused to send me a schematic so I'm left to search the collective mind of the internet. I was able to find a picture of the whole board and blew up the piece I need, it's labeled GA7001 here:

PowerSupply2.jpg

It seems to me that it must be a resistor of some sort because of the colored bands, but the fact that it blew tells me there was safety built into it so I was thinking fusistor, but still cannot find anything like it on the internet. I'm much better with electrical and mechanical than I am electronics.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help I get here, you will be doing me a $1300 favor if I can get this figured out!

Justin

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I don't really have a guess but the GA is probably the key. What are the other resistors labeled as?

slow96z

Apr 11, 2012
The rest of the resistors are labled with an R followed by the location number, or at least that's what it looks like to me.

PowerSupply3.jpg

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
It looks like it has a transparent casing. I thik Germanium diodes are often like that. Could G stand for Germanium?
It has 3 bands instead of 4. I see gold, blue, black, or maybe gold, blue, brown.

Anyone know if anything is there is any standard 3 color band system?

-tim

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Due to it's appearance, unusual silkscreen label and position near other circuit protection devices, it may be an avalanche diode. You can get the whole board online for $75.

Last edited:

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
Together with the MOVs I would think it is a gas overvoltage arrester.

TOK ;)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The fact that it crosses from the live part of the board to just outside of it (earth?) suggests that it is some sort of avalanche device.

Why do you think it''s broken?

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Why do you think it''s broken?

Because he said it was completely blown off by the lighting that hit his house, the pic is one that he managed to find on the internet for comparison. Which would make sense, if lighting did take it out, to be a avalanche device.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Because he said it was completely blown off by the lighting that hit his house, the pic is one that he managed to find on the internet for comparison. Which would make sense, if lighting did take it out, to be a avalanche device.

OK, I didn't read his post as that, but I guess it makes sense.

Perhaps if we can see an image of the damaged board and the underside as well. Maybe a little larger area than the clip in the first post, but less than the whole board.

If the photos are as good as the ones obtained from the internet, even better.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
timothy48342, I don't have a site for you to check, but when I run into the color banding
system I Google it. The diode color band system is for three, four, or five bands, so
you really need a chart when you're trying to identify one. I printed-out a good copy
of one of the charts (but I don't remember where I put it right now), so they're out there.
Just looking at it, my first guess is a diode, but it does look to have an interesting
insert inside of it, and they labelled it 'GA', which seems unusual too. If it's not a
gallium arsenide device or germanium diode, and it's 'gone' from the board, it's anybody's guess what it
could be.