Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What is this component fitted to my 24 volt pump?

cygnusv

Oct 7, 2014
My boats central heating is controlled by a small Johnson 24 volt magnetic drive circulating pump. The speed of the pump is controlled by a pwm with attached thermistor fastened to the boiler outlet pipe.
A week or so ago the pump speed went a bit haywire then the motor stopped. I traced the fault to the pump area.
Immediately before the pump, on the positive wire, is a small rubber component that looks like a bullet type connector block. When I touched it the motor sprang back to life. I thought it was a connector block with a bad connection. In fact, inside the rubber on the positive wire is a coiled tube of bright copper wire. I didn't't disturb it as it appeared to work OK again.
Early this morning the fault returned.

What is the component, and would it be safe to remove it completely?
The pump is very low amperage and of the circulating type, not a pressure pump.

Many thanks, Stu

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
A photo of the part would be of great help to us.
Chances are this is an inductor to reduce electromagnetic emission.
Simply removing a component is mostly the second best option only. The manufacturer wouldn't have put it there if it wasn't necessary. Finding the right replacement is the better option.

cygnusv

Oct 7, 2014
Thanks Harald. I'll try to post a pic of the item. Does the forum recommend a particular free picture hosting site?

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Aim troubleshooting towards all solder joints, contacts and internal wires breakage. That circuit should be a filter/protector from spikes and transients. Do not remove/bypass from circuit, it smooths the PWM pulses.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I agree, this is likely a cold solder contact or a broken wire. Try to locate the point where flexing the cable or tapping at the solder joints stops/starts the pump, then have a close look and re-solder the affected joint (while at it you might re-solder all joints as ther solder joints may be in a bad condtition, too). Or strip the cable a few centimeters (if it's a broken cable, not a bad solder joint) and discard the broken end , re-solder to a good end of the cable.

cygnusv

Oct 7, 2014
I agree, this is likely a cold solder contact or a broken wire. Try to locate the point where flexing the cable or tapping at the solder joints stops/starts the pump, then have a close look and re-solder the affected joint (while at it you might re-solder all joints as ther solder joints may be in a bad condtition, too). Or strip the cable a few centimeters (if it's a broken cable, not a bad solder joint) and discard the broken end , re-solder to a good end of the cable.

Thankyou everyone. Problem solved. Stu