Maker Pro
Maker Pro

what is switch gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRITESH

Oct 10, 2010
Hello,
I have seen many time these control panel how they operate function?

MNS_Main_Busbar_4-4.jpg

switchgear_shutterstock_179403626_0.jpg

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I don't know the mains voltage in your country.
In the U.S. the power comes into most large industrial sites 4160VAC from the power company.
What we call switchgear is the connection/interface from that 4160V to voltage reduction components at the plant.
The transformers the plant owns to reduce the 4160V to lower voltages the plant can use: like 480V for large motors,
220V for smaller motors and plant lighting gear.
That's just a layman's terms explanation.
The reason for switchgear is to isolate the 4160VAC from the power company, from the voltage reduction equipment of the plant using the power company voltage. Without the switchgear to isolate that extremely large voltage from the
industrial plant, very bad things could happen to the plant's equipment.
Switchgear is a large contactor/circuit breaker set-up contained in one or more of the large panels in your pictures.

Maybe 'switchgear' to you could just be motor control/power distribution equipment panels to whomever you heard this term used from. But switchgear to me is what I listed above.
Probably somebody else on this site will add their input to this term(?)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
OK. You're talking about the power distribution equipment in an industrial plant itself.
There are a lot of books out there that cover this. I would Google industrial power distribution equipment, or some
similar phrase until you start seeing the information you're interested in.
You're talking about a very large amount of data, and if I were you, I'd be looking for a book to explain its aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.