Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What is special about solderable enamelled copper wire?

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
This website lists their enamelled copper wire as solderable and I wanted to check whether some enamelled wires are more suitable for soldering than others? I know for sure that there are different kinds and grades of coatings but I'm not sure in what situations they matter.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
This website lists their enamelled copper wire as solderable and I wanted to check whether some enamelled wires are more suitable for soldering than others? I know for sure that there are different kinds and grades of coatings but I'm not sure in what situations they matter.
Sean, the purpose of this is to make repairs easier. Lets say you need to make a repair in a motor winding with limited area to work in, you can simply heat the wire with your iron and the enamel coating will melt away in the flux.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013

What website?? Check your post better.

You should know that materials like wood, paint, paper, plastic, and many non-metallics do not bond to solder. Evidently, someone has invented an enamel that either disintegrates when heated or turns into flux.

Ratch

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
What website?? Check your post better.

You should know that materials like wood, paint, paper, plastic, and many non-metallics do not bond to solder. Evidently, someone has invented an enamel that either disintegrates when heated or turns into flux.

Ratch

I may have forgotten to post the URL.

An enamel that disintegrates when heated sounds like a bad idea if the heat conducts far enough along the length of wire as to compromise the project. I'll stick to abrading the enamel away. Also, it's not at all evident from "solderable enamelled copper" that someone has invented such an enamel.

Chemelec

Jul 12, 2016
Solderable Enamel wire is Very Safe for applications that don't get to High Temperatures.
The Coating require a Considerable amount of heat with Flux, to remove it.
So for Most Transformers and Motors this type of wire is Quite Acceptable.

I have and use both types and never had any problems.
But for Smaller Gauges, the Solderable enamel is better, Less chance of Nicking the wire, Causing Weak Spots when removing the coating.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
An enamel that disintegrates when heated sounds like a bad idea if the heat conducts far enough along the length of wire as to compromise the project. I'll stick to abrading the enamel away. Also, it's not at all evident from "solderable enamelled copper" that someone has invented such an enamel.

Have you considered breaking open an old transformer and use it's wire to your project ?
I do that all the time. As a matter of fact i only use transformer wire when i need insulated copper that must last long.

P.S. it is solderable if you insist with your solder iron for longer time.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
An enamel that disintegrates when heated sounds like a bad idea if the heat conducts far enough along the length of wire as to compromise the project. I'll stick to abrading the enamel away.

to the contrary ... it's a very good and awesome idea. works really well. the heat will never conduct along the wire very far where it would damage other components
and after all those components were originally heated the same way to solder them into place

Dave

Chemelec

Jul 12, 2016
Lots of Power Transformers are built with Heat Strippable Enamel Wire.
I have Never seen one fail from internal heating.