Connect with us

What is Resistor and Its Function?

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by Cindy K, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Cindy K

Cindy K

Nov 27, 2018
    I have a double-control switch for an electric heating bed,but it didn’t work. The repairman said that the resistance burned out. I don't know much about resistance. So I checked the function of resistance on the Internet, but I still don't understand it.
    What kind of resistors I should use? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2018
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    It depends on which resistance the repairman referred to.
    The heating element itself has a resistance. This resistance is whet heats up when power is applied to heat your bed.
    Resistances may be present elsewhere, e.g. in the control unit that allows you to set the amount of heating.

Judging from your question I doubt that you are qualified to repair the electric heating bed yourself, truly sorry. An unqualified repair on a device that may be in direct contact with a human person bears the risk of electric shock in case of a fault. You should either leave the repair to qualified repair personnel or buy a new heating bed.

Arouse1973, j4cobgarby and hevans1944 like this.
  3. Cindy K

Cindy K

Nov 27, 2018
    ok Thank you, I will try

4. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    The repair guy was most likely referring to the heating element, as HK said.
    A typical electric blanket can draw from several hundred Watts to several KW.
    Unless the heated bed has a mineral-oil filled resistor array, heat-sinked to the metal bed-frame, not likely a discrete R.
    Could be a PWM chopper or Phase-modulated circuit, though.

5. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    More like 100 watts at best....kilowatts , wow...that would be SOME Artic winter.

FuZZ1L0G1C, JMW and davenn like this.
  6. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    haha. Our electric blanket, passed down by a late parent, lost its 'specs' sticker long ago, so it was a wild guesstimate.
    However, on maximum setting 5, if forgotten on the whole night, it feels like Kw by the next morning!!
    Winter approaching (June/July-ish), so soon to haul it down from the built-in wardrobe..

7. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Do you think i could get access to your calculations..??
    I'm putting in my latest Gold Lotto and would like to improve my chances a few million times. :):)

FuZZ1L0G1C likes this.
Ask a Question