Connect with us

What is in memory computing in SAP HANA?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Kevin713H, Dec 4, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Kevin713H

Kevin713H

Feb 28, 2019
    HANA works based on in memory computing (IMC). That means it will keeps the data in RAM instead of Disk. So the processor requires less time to perform an operation and Hana works based on row and column operations. They are literal words, what is in-memory computing in hana? or how is this achieved? I have read some realization methods of IMC, an note said "the in-memory computing is still in the exploratory stage, and there are many specific implementation methods to study, currently there are three types: RRAM, Flash, SRAM, and DRAM." (source from https://www.apogeeweb.net/electron/what-is-in-memory-computing.html ), I am still confused, what are they?

I'm an electronic amateur, not sure I was totally clear on what I'm asking. If you have any idea, pls comment here. Thank you in advance!

ratstar likes this.
  2. ratstar

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
    I thought all computing was in memory computing, using the disk as virtual memory slows everything down.

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    No. Computing is usually done in a processing unit.

HANA uses an in-memory database meaning all database tables are stored within the main memory where they can be accessed rather quickly. This is also (in my opinion misleadingly) called in-memory processing (or computing). The computations themselves are done by a processor.

There is also (in my opinion) true in-memory computing where the memory itself is capable of doing computations without having to shuffle data to a central processor and back. As far as I know this is research work and has not yet found its way into practice.

There are even more types of memory. The workhorse of computers is DRAM which allows huge memory arrays at low cost.
    Look up the different types of memory on the internet. There's way too much to explain it all here. Start your research e.g. with this Wikipedia article.

Ask a Question