Connect with us

what is a dual tracking regulator for?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by tempus fugit, Nov 30, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

    Hey all;

    I'm trying to get a (music) keyboard up and running, and I think the PS is
    kaput. One of the components is MC1468, a dual tracking regulator. The unit
    uses +/-15v, at about 200mA. I would just replace the 1468, but I can't find
    one. It does specify in the service manual that the -15v has to be
    exactly -15v for the keyboard to function properly, and that since the -15
    tracks the +15, that the +15 should be pretty accurate (no noise) too.

    If I can't find a replacement 1468, couldn't I just replace the current
    supply with 78 and 7915? I've used these before, and they are pretty
    accurate. If accuracy is an issue, maybe 317 and 337 trimmed to exactly the
    right values? I'm not sure why the PS is so elaborate here (maybe because
    it's older -mid 70s?), but it seems to me that a simple pair of voltage
    regulators would do the trick.
  2. I think i have a couple good used ones.
    I say, the boy is so stupid that he tried to make a back up copy of his
    hard drive on the Xerox machine!

    Michael A. Terrell
    Central Florida
  3. Baphomet

    Baphomet Guest

    Tempus -

    The reason for a dual tracking regulator is that if the voltage of one
    regulator goes up (or down) with temperature (or load or input voltage), the
    other regulator goes up or down by the same amount, leaving the difference
    between the two voltages at exactly zero. Trimming non tracking regulators
    to the exact same (but opposite) voltage will not necessarily preserve the
    zero difference between them under varying conditions, should the circuit(s)
    being driven require this.

    The NTE - 1468
    seems to be an exact replacement.
  4. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

    Thanks Baph.

    That makes things a little more of a challenge then. So a regulator doesn't
    keep a steady voltage if temperature changes are thrown into the mix?

    The NTE 1468 is a SIP audio output amp, but if you have any other
    suggestions for a drop in replacement, let me know. Oh, and more good news -
    it's ceramic encapsulated rather than plastic.
  5. Baphomet

    Baphomet Guest

    Well, it may or may not, depending upon the particular regulator. I think
    the point that I was trying, however ineptly, to make is that since I don't
    know how critical your circuit is (and for the purposes of argument, I am
    assuming it is because it called for a dual tracking regulator) to a voltage
    differential between regulators, temperature variations may play a
    significant factor.
    I don't know where the hell I got that number from. Sorry for the goof up. I
    think Michael A. Terrell said that he thought he might have several good
    ones lying around.

  6. Baphomet

    Baphomet Guest

    Tempus - try this source

  7. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

  8. Baphomet

    Baphomet Guest

    No clue :) It would be interesting to see a schematic in order to see why
    the designer thought it necessary to use a dual tracking regulator in the
    first place.
  9. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

    A moog keyboard. Want me to post the schem at the bin group (otherwise I
    could post a link to a download)?
  10. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

    Are they the ceramic version (MC1468CP-1)?

    If so I might be interested in one.

  11. Baphomet

    Baphomet Guest

    Absolutely...please post to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic. Let's see
    what's so critical that they need a dual tracking supply and ceramic, no

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day