Connect with us

What IC is that?

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by adam30732, Apr 15, 2018.

1. adam30732

adam30732

Apr 15, 2018
    Well, this afternoon I opened up some of these old orange box down in the corner of my basement and found
    this 6 digit led clock. It's a bare bone unit without case. It was my first electronic project back to
    the late seventies. I recall at the time these non stopping advancing seconds display was such
    attraction to me. I want to restore it to a working unit.

Looking at my old clock I realize that it has no power supply and no IC.It has a 24 pin IC socket on
    the circuit board. I must have misplaced the IC somewhere. I wish if someone can lend a helping hand
    identifying what IC was used in this seven segment clock. I think it might be a TexasInstrument IC but
    I am just guessing. There are no timer no crystal but transistors,resistors capacitors and diodes.
    The board has "Quest" printed on it.

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    The timing for older clocks was often established from the incoming mains supply (50/60Hz depending on your country).
    The IC might be something like the 5316....

Many, many ways to skin that particular cat!

Attached Files:

3. adam30732

adam30732

Apr 15, 2018
    Thanks for the quick reply. I think I finally got it, at 24 pins it must be the National Semiconductor MM5314N. But at $20 a piece I'll think about it. Many thanks for looking it up for me.

Ask a Question