Connect with us

What Gauge Copper Wire Should I Use?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by roonyroo, Sep 1, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. roonyroo

roonyroo

Jul 13, 2012
    Im trying to build a simple electric generator using magnets & bare copper wire, what gauge copper wire should I use?

I was thinking of getting 16 gauge copper wire, for around a 500 turn coil, or would I be better off with a thicker wire?

Could I use tin plated copper wire? Would a plated wire be better then a regular bare copper wire?

Im new to electronics, need all the help I can get lol

thnx

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    You cannot use bare wire in a coil since conduction between turns will short out the coil.

Enamelled wire (magnet wire) is the way to go.

A few turns of thick wire will give a low voltage and a high current, a lot of turns of thin wire will give a high voltage but a low current. The power in both cases will be similar and will depend on the magnetic circuit.

3. szhighstar

szhighstar

Aug 7, 2012
    suggest to use PEW wire, A=I/J, A is section across area of wire, I is current, J is current density, you can select J is 3A/mm*mm.

Ask a Question