Connect with us

What exactly is this Circuitry?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by lightarrow, Oct 29, 2012.

1. lightarrow

lightarrow

Oct 29, 2012
    Hello,

I have this piece of circuitry & Im not sure what it exactly does, if anyone can give some details.

[​IMG]

It obviously takes 240V in & Im assuming the output is 12V dc? Would this be prone to wearing out quickly & not providing the correct power? It looks cheap & small.

Thanks

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It's hard to say with certainty what the input or output voltage is. Wiring colour suggests 240V, but you never can be sure.

It looks like a fairly low power switchmode power supply.

It won't wear out quickly, however there are capacitors on the output which will fail over time so I would not say it will operate indefinitely.

Knowing what those green capacitors say would give us an idea of the voltage (it will be probably 2/3 (ish) of their rated voltage).

3. lightarrow

lightarrow

Oct 29, 2012
    thanks for reply,

the green capacitors say:

0 uF 1000uF 10
    16V 16V

So I guess 16Volts output?

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I'd say 12V. Remember I said that the output voltage is likely to be about 2/3 of the capacitor voltage.

12V is a pretty common voltage and I'd be betting on that.

I can't tell you what current though. I'd guess it might be 1A

5. lightarrow

lightarrow

Oct 29, 2012
    Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question