Connect with us

What does RT mean on a pcb

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by rupert, Mar 10, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. rupert

    rupert Guest

    hi i am a self taught repairer of basic electronic items and have been
    doing it for about 4 years, as i buy faulty items repair them then
    sell them on but i have a batch of about 25 PVRs i have repaired about
    20 of them but there is one part on the last 4 that i need and cant

    It is on the power supply board

    it is labelled RT1 and looks alot like a small capacitor

    it has the marking 8S100L on it

    it is one of the early components on the board (next after the fuse-

    please help as i have repured the rest of the board but am sure that i
    need to replace this aswell as it is showing scorch marks
  2. James Sweet

    James Sweet Guest

    Probably a MOV for surge protection.
  3. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    It's a 'surgeguard' style NTC thermistor. Have you measured them ? They can run
    quite hot btw.

  4. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    They look similar to NTCs too. The MOV will be 'across the line' where an NTC
    will be in series.

  5. rupert

    rupert Guest

    hi THANKS ALOT its an NTC then but how do i find the value of the one
    i need
  6. Ross Herbert

    Ross Herbert Guest

    Highly likely that RT means Resistor - Temperature (dependant).

    It will be a NTC inrush current suppressor.. Since the unit is not
    likely to be using more than a couple of 10's of watts at most you
    could use one such as this Sheets/SL08 10001.pdf
  7. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    Measure a good one ?

    They're specced by surge capability (related to size) and hot and cold resistance.
    You should be able to find a suitable replacement from that.

  8. rupert

    rupert Guest

  9. Guest

    Could this device (or similar) be put in series with my halogen puck
    lights that keep blowing bulbs - and would it help?
  10. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    Yes it could.
    It might do. It will certainly reduce the inrush.

  11. Ross Herbert

    Ross Herbert Guest

    Could you please explain what a "puck light" is?

    I am familiar with the standard halogen downlights operating from ac
    mains supply via a transformer but not knowing the specifics of your
    particular halogen I couldn't say whether the NTC would help.
  12. it is labelled RT1 and looks alot like a small capacitor

    Is it a microprocessor PCB? Does it say "RTS"?

    "Return to sender, address unknown".

    But that's just a guess...
  13. James Sweet

    James Sweet Guest

    I would guess he means the hockey puck shaped halogen fixtures meant for
    mounting under kitchen cabinets.
  14. Jim Land

    Jim Land Guest

    wrote in
    When that happens, start by taking an accurate voltmeter and measuring the
    AC voltage on the lamps. If it's too high, of course they will keep

    What about other light bulbs? Do they keep blowing too? What is the
    voltage at an outlet?
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day