Maker Pro
Maker Pro

what does incision in a board layout mean?

at89atbits

Sep 20, 2014
I came across a statement "analog front ends can be protected against leakage currents by incisions in board layout".
What does incisions in the board layout mean?
How is it obtained?

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I guess they're referring to cutouts that go all the way through the board, to increase creepage distance. These are commonly used where high-voltage isolation is needed. I believe they're obtained by passing a router bit through the board and moving it round, as part of the routing process that also produces the board edges. Effectively they're an "edge" that's fully internal to the board.

at89atbits

Sep 20, 2014
oh cool!
is there a tool in eagle cad or altium that is dedicated for incisions?
or are we supposed to use the drill for that?

Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I don't know. I used to do it by providing a complete path for the routing bit, using a track of a designated thickness on a designated layer. The PCB manufacturer would use that layer to set up the routing bit path. I think you would have to work with your PCB manufacturer to explain what you want, so they could program the CNC machine to do it properly. You might want to place a standard hole (with no copper around it) to act as a starting point, so the routing bit doesn't have to drill its own starting hole. Also there may be restrictions on routing bit diameter, because the routing bit has to be thick enough that it doesn't break as the router drags it around the board, cutting its channel.

These are just my speculations. You're best to talk directly to the people who will be manufacturing the boards.