Connect with us

What do you call these (infrared lens)?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gratz, Feb 27, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. gratz

gratz

Feb 27, 2013
    Looking at this picture, what would you call, what I thought were described as IR lenses? I was looking for somewhere that would sell such a thing so that I could put one over an IR LED that is soldered to some wire... Can't find anywhere that sells such a thing online!

Thanks

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    show us the link to that www site.... doesnt it tell you about the product ?

D

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Generally just smoked transparent plastic, usually grey, black or even red smoked...

Look at tinted plexiglass (perspex), you might have to form your own if you need a particular shape... You can do small gravity forming over a form in a toaster oven, but with these clear plastics you have to raise the heat very slowly and allow the humidity that is locked in the plastic to come out or else it will bubble... Basically you put in in the oven and heat very slowly for a few hours letting it 'dry out' before you bump up to the forming temps...

4. gratz

gratz

Feb 27, 2013
    I see.. I was hoping to find some pre-made that I could put the wired LED into and seal it shut

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
  6. pwdixon

pwdixon

Oct 14, 2012
    Not sure if you are really looking for a lens, you might be looking for a box to put a sensor in. These people http://www.eidusa.com/Electronics_Enclosures_Plastic_1591T.htm do something like that so at least if that's not quite what you wanted you could at least search knowing more about what is available.

Ask a Question