Connect with us

what do I need to make a remote control so it will control a simple on/off circuit for a fullsize b

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Peter, Jan 6, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hi there..

    I'm trying to make a remote control for 3 different boats which I will
    have zooming around the harbour, about 500m Radius. I need to have a
    remote control, or 3 of them to switch on/off a circuit which is on
    each of these boats. I'd like to be able to switch off a circuit on
    one boat witout interupting the other two. That's a minor issue I'd

    Is it possible to have battery powered remotes for such distances?
    Can someone give me substancial help with such an idea, and how would
    I go about making it?

    I would appreciate ANY support, and please explain terminology, not
    fully into electronics but am determined to get this project done as
    it's urgently needed.

    I look forward to hearing from anyone with help.
    Thank you,
  2. Si Ballenger

    Si Ballenger Guest

    Just use R/C transmitter/receiver setups just like model R/C
  3. Unless I've misunderstood, R/C Tx and Rx with reliable 500 metre
    performance by an electronics beginner sounds extremely ambitious! I
    certainly wouldn't tackle such a project from scratch. Leaving aside
    the technical skill required for a robust result, it just wouldn't
    stand up in terms of cost effectiveness or speed of completion,
    compared to buying a commercial kit. Even if I did, documenting it in
    sufficient detail to give you 'substantial help and explain
    terminology' would itself be onerous.

    My recommendation: get a couple of R/C mags and/or supplier
    catalogues, and buy what you want, with advice form the supplier.
  4. Ian Bell

    Ian Bell Guest

    There are standard radio modules you can buy that will do this over the
    range you want and they do not need any special skills to set them up.
    best place to get them depends on where you live.

  5. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Yes. I would have suggested that.

    Is the subject line correct? Full size boats? Remotely controlled?

    Buy *lots* of insurance.
  6. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Lol.. yes full size boats, but perhaps I didn't explain fully. These
    remote control devices are for controlling on/off circuits inside the
    engine. I'll hint the fact that I'd like to cut the current flowing to
    the sparkplug in a petrol 50HP engine by switching off this circuit.
    It's a safety measure which a boating instructor needs to have, to
    control people messing in your boats by shutting off their engine. If
    anything, the insurance companies would appreciate a move like this.
  7. Fred Bloggs

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    You require a simplified ready made kit. Consult the manufacturer. An
    example is:
  8. Fred Bloggs

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    Don't forget the idiot factor either. Some people I know were once
    R/C'ing a $500K remote controlled submarine around a commercial harbor
    when some idiot in a yacht spotted it and decided he had a runaway
    torpedo on his hands- you know how common those are! The unbelievable
    moron then went into John Wayne mode, thinking he would run it down and
    lasso it or something- saving the world from God knows what! To make a
    long story short, there was a major collision with $100K's of resulting
    damage, and this flake had the nerve to sue us-LOL.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day