Connect with us

What display tech at Wimbledon ?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by XThing, Jan 17, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. XThing

    XThing Guest

    The yellow-on-green matrix displays used for the scoreboard in events
    like the Wimbledon tennis championships exhibit such good contrast
    even in direct sunlight. Can someone please explain what display
    technology is used ?

  2. 'Flip'-Type display, on plate of metal per Pixel, one side flat black,
    the other bright yellow, flipped over by an electric manget.


    Michel Buchholz.

    Sorry if i misspelled something, i'm not a native speaker.
  3. XThing

    XThing Guest

    Thanks Michael. I mentally "invented" such a system myself, but the
    mechanical flipping somehow seemed a bit crude in this day and age,
    and thought that it might be something more purely electronic.
    Same here.

  4. It eats power while changing state, but not while "lit"
    like most "purely electronic" devices. The application is
    low resolution, low speed, and low refresh rate so it's got
    several cost advantages over say a great big TV display or
    even a light bulb matrix.

    Mark L. Fergerson
  5. Staver used to make these mechanical displays, but that product line
    was sold off, years ago. Do a Google search on Staver and Displays and
    you'll find the current manufacturer. I built a custom controller for a
    bank of these for Ch 55 in Orlando years ago, for their telethons.

    We now return you to our normally scheduled programming.

    Take a look at this little cutie! ;-)

    Michael A. Terrell
    Central Florida
  6. This type of display is also used on buses where I live (Toronto)
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day