Connect with us

What connector is this?

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by hwhh, Nov 1, 2018.

1. hwhh

hwhh

Nov 1, 2018
    I recently bought a Thunderbolt 3 dock but it didn't come with a power supply so I'm trying to figure out which supply to buy. I already have a Lenovo 20V 8.5A power supply but the head on it doesn't fit (it's a 7.9mm OD) so need to find a converter or a whole new PSU (I've already tried looking for original supplies for the dock but didn't find any). Thank you in advance!

upload_2018-11-2_6-27-31.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome to EP.

Unfortunately your picture doesn't show, Please use the upload option or simply paste the image into the edit box. There are many thunderbolt docks. It would help to know which one you bought.

3. hwhh

hwhh

Nov 1, 2018
    Is it showing now ?

4. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    The picture is showing now, but still no info on the make of the dock.

5. hwhh

hwhh

Nov 1, 2018
  6. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Compared to an image of a new dock the power supply input lacks at least part of the plastic cover. The power port also seems to be special - at least it is none of the usual DC power plugs. I haven't been able to find something similar.
    Unless you can get hold of an original replacement power supply you can try and replace the socket by a standard DC power socket that matches your Lenovo plug. Some soldering required. Observe the correct polarity!
    The adapters available for the Elgato thunderbolt 2 dock will not fit the thunderbolt 3 dock!

7. hwhh

hwhh

Nov 1, 2018

Thank you for your help! I just had another question, do you what socket I would need / where to get such a socket?

8. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Either get a socket that matches the PSU you have, or pick a matching pair so you put a new one in the dock and a new plug on the PSU, OR buy a new PSU and pick a socket that matches it, OR buy a new PSU and replace the socket and put a new plug on it too.

Where to get them would be a UK serviced electronics supply house. There's several like RS, Maplin, Mouser, Farnell, etc.

Make sure the connectors you pick, are rated for at least 8.5A.

If a new connector's pins don't match the circuit board pad layout then you'd want a panel mount style that you mount in a hole you drill in the chassis, and to air-wire it to the circuit board pads.

The obvious other solution is just hunt down the intended PSU for the Elgato TB 3. Keep in mind that some manufacturers have gotten devious and put a data link in their PSU circuit that communicates with the powered product such that the powered product may not work with an alternate, otherwise viable PSU, or be reduced in performance and not charge the battery. Dell for example has been doing this for years with their laptops.

Ask a Question