Connect with us

What component is this?

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by KeithM, Nov 7, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. KeithM

KeithM

Nov 3, 2015
    I'm putting together this schematic, from this project, to use in Eagle for a project of mine:
    [​IMG]
    I've almost finished putting it together, except for the parts that say "4k7" and "1k5". I'm assuming that since a rectangle is used to represent a resistor in other parts, that those are resistors, but what is "4k7" suppose to mean? 4.7 Ohms?

Thanks for any help!

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    4k7 = 4000, 700 Ω ie. 4700 Ω
    k = 1000
    its a shorthand way of writing 4.7 kΩ

if it was 4.7 Ohms this it would read 4E7 or 4R7 depending on the manufacturer

Dave

3. KeithM

KeithM

Nov 3, 2015
    Thanks! I'm just starting to learn electronics, so I really appreciate the help :)

davenn likes this.
  4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Trivia.
    The component number-value system davenn explained is the result of some international convention agreement that was reached between nations years ago.
    However, you will find a lot of older numbering systems that were used before the international agreement, in those older schematics.
    Just wanted you aware when you see the difference in the old schematics and the new one you posted.
    When you have questions about what you don't know, people will help you here. But you can learn a lot by going to the 'Resources' section on this web-site too.

Martaine2005 and KeithM like this.
  5. Christopher Haynes

Christopher Haynes

Dec 10, 2015
    4.700 ohms or 4.7k ohms .

6. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    You also may come across the same with R, e.g. 4R7 = 4.7 ohms, 47R = 47 ohms.
    M.

Ask a Question