Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What component is this? (relay content)

audihenry

May 9, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm taking apart a small winch and it predictably had a relay in there (12V 40A), but it also had a smaller 12V 25A component. Part of me thinks it's another relay (for what?) or a fuse of some sort? Any help will be appreciated!

oAxPm8E.jpg

WRO2UqU.jpg

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
It's a relay... As for what trace back the wires...

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
It's a relay... As for what trace back the wires...

A 2 pin relay ?? thats a new one ;)

more likely a bi-metallic thermal circuit breaker for if the winch jams

Dave

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
A 2 pin relay ?? thats a new one ;)

more likely a bi-metallic thermal circuit breaker for if the winch jams

True, only the first image was appeared last nigh for me when I read the post though...

audihenry

May 9, 2013
Thanks guys. So I googled away but could not find a thermal switch that looked anything like this, even if looking specifically for a 12V 25A one. If it is a thermal switch then I could re-use it, but I'm just not sure. As far as wiring, I cut it all up before realizing that it wasn't the best approach. :eek:

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
What was it connected to in the winch? Did you notice before you cut the loom up?

Presumably the relay turned the motor on, perhaps this device is some kind of safety, that stops the motor burning out if it winds all the way in, or some idiot attaches it to something too heavy. Or it could have something to do with a ratchet? Was the ratchet automatic or manual?

I'm thinking its some kind of thermal cutout to prevent motor burnout. Are there re-settable thermal fuses that look like that?

audihenry

May 9, 2013
Not a ratchet mechanism, that is a hardware based implementation. Here's photos of it opened up. Looks like a safety / overload switch? Are these one-time (unlikely) or reusable (likely)?

5UHYKlz.jpg

veip7RW.jpg

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
Cool Pic! As current increases the curved bi - metal plate expands, In a over current condition the curve straightens out to the extent that the welded 'point' on the end breaks contact with the mating contact. In most cases when when the over current event subsides the metal strip assumes it's curved shape, the points are re-connected and all is right with the world, In severe case there will be damage resulting in a permanent closed or permanent open condition.

audihenry

May 9, 2013
Cool Pic! As current increases the curved bi - metal plate expands, In a over current condition the curve straightens out to the extent that the welded 'point' on the end breaks contact with the mating contact. In most cases when when the over current event subsides the metal strip assumes it's curved shape, the points are re-connected and all is right with the world, In severe case there will be damage resulting in a permanent closed or permanent open condition.

Thank you very much for that awesome explanation!