Connect with us

What can I use to control a valve?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ian75, Mar 30, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ian75

Ian75

Mar 30, 2013
    I have just started learning electronics. I want to build something that will open a simple valve at random, or quasi-random, or for right now, automatically. The valve I have in mind will be a nail resting in a hole at the top of a plastic box. On a signal, two electro magnets, one on top of the nail and one around the hole of the box, will fire creating opposing forces and pushing the nail up, allowing air in.

I have built a simple 555 timer circuit which will feed into a transformer to open a valve. The thing is, I can't find small electromagnets anywhere. I have tried making my own using old iron washers but it does not appear to have worked.

My question is, where can I get small electromagnets from, or is there a better solution? I know a relay is an EM, but I have not found one that pushes up a bar on activation. Is there one that works on a 9v circuit?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Before you even think about a circuit, you'll have to make your valve.

Personally, I'd find something commercial and buy it.

Once you have found a few possible valves, THEN we can talk about how you'd control them. Then from that, a single best valve might emerge.

3. sheldonstv

sheldonstv

Jul 17, 2007
    when you are ready then things can be designed for you-a 555 based circuit or a 4017 based circuit if you want to go super exotic

Ask a Question