Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What can be happen if I use 10 inch 8-ohms speaker instead of 8 inch 8- ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prohor

Sep 27, 2016
Q1. If I use 10 inch instead of 8 inch speaker both having 8 ohms, will it decrease or increase sound quality?

Q2. Currently I am using 8 inch 8-ohms speaker in stk4231 ic based sound system. Within 70% volume range it plays almost nice as I expected. But more than this voice seems clear- only problem is when drum beat comes to play, sound seems noisy. I feel but not sure that 8 inch speaker is vibrating too much and 10 inch may work better. In reality will it effect if I change it to 10 inch?

[ volume percentage I mentioned is from computer volume controller and amplifier unit is not with any volume controller at this moment.]

Please help.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Assuming each speaker is in a correctly designed enclosure, you would expect the 10 inch to reproduce lower frequencies more faithfully than the 8 inch. However, build quality of the two speakers is also a major factor.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
A loudspeaker made by a quality company has a detailed datasheet showing its sensitivity, frequency response and all the Thiel/Small specs for you to design its enclosure. Usually the datasheet shows an enclosure design.

If your "local market" sells speakers without any detailed specs then you are just guessing about the sound.

A speaker as large as 8" or 10" is a cheap one made for paging in a store or is a good woofer.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
There might also be clipping distortion, or overdriving the speaker, if driver's power rating is too low.
As shown in the music-sample waveform, a drum-beat has a high initial peak, tapering off to zero.
While a lower-rated speaker may handle normalized audio, these "kicks" may clip the amp or speaker.
This clipping creates a temporary 'square-wave' where the audio waveshape should have been.
Check that your amp's maximum power output does not exceed the loudpeaker's power (Watts) rating.
Clipping-distortion (buzzing/vibration) occurs when diaphragm and voice-coil tries to move beyond its design limits.
Instead of smoothly transitioning along the peak wave-form curve, it (the diaphram or 'cone') hits against the housing, at worst ripping / tearing the speaker.
Depending on what application you want the speaker for (general midrange / fullrange / bass / subwoofer), as posted above the type of speaker and enclosure can make a huge difference.
As 10-inch has a slightly wider diameter than 8-inch it (should) have a lower frequency response.
Translated, this means that with a suitable cabinet design, 10 should give a mellower sound, although the difference is so small as to be imperceptible.
If designing your own enclosures, there is a small handbook on the topic, "Loudspeaker Enclosure Design and Theory" or try Google it.

Attachments

• strobe.jpg
    strobe.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 53
Status
Not open for further replies.