Connect with us

What are those metal donuts that wires wrap through / around for?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], Apr 13, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    I have no idea what these things are called so I don't know what
    terms to search on to research them.

    Anyway, it looks like a metal donut that a paired set of wires wrap
    around and through multiple times.


    1. What is it called?
    2. What purpose does it serve?


  2. BobG

    BobG Guest

    1. What is it called?
    1) ferrite bead
    2) Its an inductor. Blocks hi frequencies, passes lo frequencies
  3. ME

    ME Guest

    Also could be a transformer.

    Depending on how they are wired.

    Step up
    Step down
    or isolation transformer.
  4. It can also be called a _core_ for a toroid inductor, or a core for
    a transformer, if more than one winding is used.

    An information page for beginners about beads, toroid cores,
    transformer cores, scroll down to see pictures:

    This is one of the most known makers of toroid cores
  5. dB

    dB Guest

    Or a transformer.
  6. Guest

    Thank you all for your responses. It was exactly what I was looking
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day