Connect with us

What are these?

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by t0ast, May 13, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. t0ast

t0ast

May 13, 2011
    Can anyone provide any information on these 2? They appear to be resistors, but I can't find any like them. Any idea where I can get them? Looks like the bandings are orange, black, orange, silver, which would be a 30k ohm resistor, correct?

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/t0asty/electricalparts.png

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

2. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi t0ast
    They look like carbon resistors to me. Have you tried measuring resistance?
    Carbon resistors were always used in the old valve radios I played with as a child.
    Carbon resistors have a lower self-inductance than the modern metal-film replacements.
    You can still buy carbon resistors.

3. t0ast

t0ast

May 13, 2011
    I don't know why I didn't even think to measure resistance. I just did and got around 101 ohms. I had never seen resistors like these. These are in a doorbell that was made in 1988. I will look for some carbon resistors. Thank you for your reply and assistance. :) About 100 ohms doesn't seem right for the bands on them though...

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    brown black brown are the bands for 100 Ohms :)

the silver is the tolerance 10%

Dave

5. t0ast

t0ast

May 13, 2011
    Ah ok, I suppose those could be brown. They just looked more orange to me. lol Thank you also. I will find myself a 100 ohm carbon resistor. :)

6. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Why do you want another if the value is right?

7. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    When exposed to excessive heat, the paint on the bands can burn, and appear to
    change color.
    They look like old style resistors, and the value of 100 ohms makes sense (brown, black, brown, silver + 10% tolerance).
    I want to say however, that in the 1960's thru 80's, I've found some manufacturers using
    that type of encapsulation for their capacitors and inductors, ... so sometimes you
    have to be careful of parts from that time period.

Ask a Question