Connect with us

What are these good for?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by bigone5500, Sep 30, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. bigone5500

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
    I scrapped a PCB which had 16 IRF541 N-Channel MOSFETs. They are listed as capable of handling 80v at 25A.

Can these be used as a solid state relay per-se?

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    It depends. There are several kinds of solid state relays.

MOSFETs can't switch AC; if you want your SSR to switch AC then you need a bridge rectifier. And it needs to be able to handle the load current.

MOSFETs require significant gate-source voltage to saturate. If you want isolated drive, you need some way to provide this voltage with isolation. It can be provided by a stack of photodiodes operated in photovoltaic mode, but not with a single optocoupler. It can also be provided by a pulse transformer driven at high frequency.

Some SSRs provide zero-crossing switching. If you want this feature, external circuitry will be needed.

To replace a generic SSR with a MOSFET like this, you will need some extra circuitry, and it may be significant.

3. bigone5500

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
  4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes, you can do that. You can use them to switch higher voltages too, as long as you provide at least 10V gate-soure voltage.

5. bigone5500

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
    LOL! You answered my question as I was asking...this is some good forum software!

Ask a Question